Should you buy car insurance from the car rental company when you rent a car?

I already have fully covered auto insurance for my car with progressive.

Favorite Answer

Depends if your current insurance will cover you if you wreck the rental. I know for a fact that mine does (State Farm) but am unsure about Progressive's policy. It is a quick phone call and they will be able to tell you. If they will cover you it is best to just not pay the extra. That insurance they are selling is only liability. So most cases they will try to sue you for the cost of their car and definately will not cover any medical expences.

Just call Progressive and they will be able to give you a fast answer.

Most personal auto insurance policies will cover a rental. The catch is that if in an accident any deductible you have will apply. You also risk of a rate increase with your insurance. The insurance you purchase has no deductible and will not be reported to your insurance company. However if bad enough to involve the police they will find out about it anyway. I have personal experience in this matter. I worked at a shop where a customer rented a brand new STS and totaled it. She took out the insurance and didn't have to pay a penny.

Bottom line is its up to you, most say its not necessary, some wouldnt consider going with out.

I recommend you this site to get quotes - INSURANCEGRADES.INFO-

RE Should you buy car insurance from the car rental company when you rent a car?

Based on what you said, you should be fine without purchasing the insurance from the car rental company.

But make sure that you completely understand your policy...

http://www.e-wisdom.com/auto-insurance/auto-insura...

Progressive should cover everything. Make sure you ask them before you make this decision. Rental insurance is a very high profit piece for rental companies

Well, you need to ask your Progressive agent - or call Progressive.

Every form of Progressive that I've ever read, the liability does NOT carry over onto a rental car, and neither does the physical damage.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years

All it takes is for some careless idiot to damage the rental car and you are screwed. The daily charge for the damage waiver could be the best money you ever spend.

• Jifr

Nooooooooooooooo!

If you already have full coverage on your own insurance the rental coverage is a TOTAL rip off!

(Read your rental contract though!!!!!!!)

Source(s): Insurance professional 10+ years

Compare insuran ce quotes

No, most people are already covered with their own auto insurance - check your policy.