Ultrasound at 20 weeks and The Tech it's too early to tell the gender?

I had an ultrasound last night I'm 20 weeks and 3 days and the Tech said it's still to early to tell the gender. Witch I found odd because I know most people can tell around this time. I saw clearly with my son at 17 weeks. I was wondering if may she just didn't kow what she was lookin at?

Favorite Answer

hum...maybe the tech just didnt want to say girl and it be a boy or vise versa...maybe he didnt want to get your hopes up...sometimes it is hard to tell...but you should be able to tell at 20 weeks.....next time you should be able to find out...good luck....i knwo its a huge let down.....thinking your getting to find out boy or girl and then going home not knowing....i would be p.o'd lol

• julez

I agree with the other posts... I'd ask for another ultrasound. I found out the sex of my baby at 20 weeks. Its possible that tech did not know what exactly to look for, or the baby was turned. Its better that they did not tell you, than tell you a guess that they had though.

Source(s): 38 weeks

hmm that's odd. Maybe the baby just wasn't in the right position? I have an ultrasound scheduled in 2 weeks at which time I will be 18 weeks along. My doctor said I will be able to tell the gender then...

It sounds as if your tech probably wasn't POSITIVE ENOUGH in knowing what it was that she didn't want to say what it is. So she said that to you.

At 20 weeks, you can usually tell what you're having.

My tech told me at 20 weeks I was having a girl but she said she was about 80% sure. So.... that's what we're going with. Since then I haven't heard anything different so...*shrugs*

Good Luck.

yes, they should be able to tell at that point........unless the baby was in a funny position and they couldn't see - but usually they would tell you that was the reason.

If the tech can't tell by looking at it then they shouldn't be a tech. talk to your doctor about having it re-done to make sure of all the results - not just the gender.

The baby could be turned so that the tech cannot see the sex. Ask for a second ultrasound.

I dont think she could see the gender of maybe you should get a second one...because at 16-18 weeks they can tell..If your 20 weeks almost 21 weeks they shouldnt have a problem unless your child has his / her back towards the screen

Seems strange to me too. I had my ultrasounds at 20 weeks for both my kids and they were able to tell the sex if I wanted to know. (Didn't find out with the first, did with the 2nd).

Well it's def NOT too early. Maybe she didn't know what she was doing!! And if she couldn't tell because of the baby's position, she should have explained that to you rather than saying it was just too early. Good luck with the rest of you pregnancy!!!

maybe you aren't as far along as you think. becuz you should be able to tell now. thats kinda weird that she didn't know that.