Why do I feel so empty?

I have lived most of my life pursuing my educational or career goals. I have acheived most of them and I'm considered very successful by those standards.

Nevertheless, I have not made many friends and never had many long relationships. My relationship with my family also is very business-like and I just can't seem to let go.

My social skills seem to be lacking outside of the work environment. I don't understand other's sense of humour - I think it is cheesy.

How do I improve myself? I have ready some self help books and they all seem very unrealistic. I do want to contribute to the world in more ways that my job.

I have to add that I am 31, agonstic and very "left-brained".

Favorite Answer

(Betting you're a Brit)

I would suggest that you are looking in the wrong places for the wrong answers.

You need to start by putting yourself in the right circles for you...those with the same interests. Stop worrying about contributing to the world and find just one person, either male or female that you enjoy being around, even if it's just for a little while. That person will know at least one person and build from there.

Most of all, do not try to Analise. Try to just go with the flow.

I have a feeling right now you are trying too hard. (If it don't fit, force it)

Try not to talk shop unless the people around you understand and appreciate it. It's okay to be the strong silent type at first. Talking down to someone is a turnoff for people.

Above all, try hard not to fault-find. Look for something good. You don't say what field you're in, but there must be groups in the same line. Start there.

My husband is a Brit and we live in Tennessee...feel free to e-mail me if you need more info on what that translates to...lol

Setting aside all beliefs I believe we all have something we crave and desire to do and our inner self is dying to let that out. You sound like a good person, education is not it, I am in college, close to your age and I write poetry. I could quit school tomorrow and write all day trying to go out in the world and change the wrongs I see. It's not necessarily improving yourself but to me more or less finding out what you want. Good Luck

Sorry i was contradicting myself..."Setting aside all beliefs but I believe." :)