Andre C asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

When I put a cat head near my ear, I can hear a rumbling sound coming from it's head, what's causing that?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Andre...what you are hearing is called purring.

The reason is psychological as well as physiological--the two are not mutually exclusive of one another. Cat's purr whenever they feel content, extremely frightened and some will purr when they are dying as well.

How cats purr:

One study determined that purring involves activation of nerves within the voice box. These nerve signals cause vibration of the vocal cords while the diaphragm serves as a pump, pushing air in and out of the vibrating cords, thus creating a musical hum. Some veterinarians believes that purring is initiated from within the central nervous system and is a voluntary act. In other words, cats purr only when they want to.

The other theory is that the sound comes more from vibrating blood vessels than in the voicebox itself. The larger the vocal chords the softer the purr whereas the smaller the louder.

Source: http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanagement101/a/why_ca...

Source(s): Animal Trainer to domestic and exotic cats 27 year friendship with a veterinarian
  • 1 decade ago

are u cereal????

its purring

cats do it when they are happy and comfortable...so it means it likes you and that it feels comfortable with you.

either that or a brain anurism hahaha jk jk

but ist normal dont worry and i hope u were just kidding becuase even my 7 year old cousin knows what purring is

• 1 decade ago

It's purring, so whatever you are doing, it likes, so keep it up! You have a very content kitty

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Purring. Means he is happy and content.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

don't worry its just shivering because its scared and it happens with all cats

• 1 decade ago

its purring

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.