Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 decade ago

How long should you wait for someone to ask you to marry them?

He is already well aware that marriage is a requirement if he wants to spend his life with me. So, do I wait a year, or more? If I over wait, then he'll never marry me. How much time do I give him to make up his mind!?

Favorite Answer

I think I will throw my two cents in here. After living with an ex-boyfriend, living with my husband before marriage and now divorced, I have changed my views on a few things. I have decided for me, that I will not move in with a boyfriend without a semi-commitment. Meaning that I would have to be engaged before living together. This way, you have that level of commitment, but still have time to test the "living together" waters, if you know what I mean. I feel that some guys, once living together, have the attitude...if it isn't broke don't fix it. Not all guys, sorry, not trying to stereo-type. Just seems I see that a lot on here and I know not all guys have that opinion.

It depends on your age too. I would say that dating a year is a good idea and then go from there. However, I dated my ex for 5 months, lived together for 7 months, got engaged at that point and then married 8 months later. He still ended up being a big liar and I don't know how he pulled off this act he did for so long before marriage. So, you never really know. It is a case by case thing depending on the relationship. I know that at my age, mid-30's, I would not wait more than a year and a half for a proposal. I am 8 months into my relationship now, so I may be mulling this over myself not too long from now. Best wishes sweetie...if it's meant to be, it will!

You want to date a few years but there's no set time table. There are a number of factors to consider like financial stability, maturity, life goal/direction. Take your time, if he truly loves you then you can wait another year or so. At the same time you don't wait to wait toooo long 4+ years.

I'm currently in a relationship a little over a year and we want to get married between 2-3years of dating.

It is so hard to know the answer to this because I think it really depends on the relationship, how old you both are, are there any kids involved, etc... Generally, I think it's good to be in a relationship with someone for at least 2 years before getting engaged. If it's been longer than that, and you're feeling like all you're doing is waiting, and your intuition is telling you that he will never bite the bullet and propose, then I think it's time for you to move on. It's hard to walk away from someone you love, but you have to love and respect yourself FIRST.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you. :)

2 years.

My husband and I dated for 6 months, I moved in, we got engaged 6 months later, and then waited another year and 5 months before getting married.... Guess it's up to you as to how long you let it go before you get married...

I knew I was going to marry my wife on our 3rd date. I waited a month before I popped the question, to see if she was on board with the idea. Once I knew she wanted to marry me too, we got engaged. Because of the logistics of scheduling a wedding, it was over a year before we walked down the aisle (and we had a small, church wedding.... a large wedding would've taken much longer), and we've been married for 7+ years.

• Lydia

I think that a mature couple, after two years of serious dating, knows whether or not they are a match for marriage. I'd give it three at the outside, as long as the two of you have talked about commitment and the future, and are being honest about what you want (marriage, family, etc.).

Just don't shack up, or get pregnant in the meantime.

• well, take it from me, im 22 and divorced and re married. this is what im going to tell my daughter...there is no rush in marraige. you have your whole life to get married to someone. enjoy their company, have fun dating and then when you guys are both very ready to make a commitment to one another and keep your vows, then you can get married. just enjoy life!!! you should give him all the time in the world that he needs. there is no over waiting! you can always talk about marraige and dream with him what it will be like. and if they idea sounds good to him, then when he is ready, he will ask you. dont push him!

You should just ask him "when do you plan on us getting married?" If he says " how about 1 year from now?" As long as he has a plan then it means he is serious about getting married. If he say "well...i don't know...i'll have to ask my mom..." then dump him. He won't marry you.

This is what I would say dating for 2 years, live together for 1 and then marrige if not then you never will..