What were the Rays thinking trading Delmon Young?

Come on! This kid could be the next Mickey Mantle and he was TRADED?

Update:

Young bat .288 with 13 homers and 93 RBI's in his ROOKIE year. Is that NOT Mantle like?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Delmon Young who attacked a ump in '06? Yeah real Mantle like! He played for the Devil Rays, land of a million prospects. Tell me one great Devil Ray that ever amounted to anything when he left Tampa?! (Wade Boggs doesnt count)

• 1 decade ago

Young had a great rookie season and has great promise for the future, but what people seem to be forgetting is that Matt Garza has just as much upside and was considered to be one of the Twins best pitching prospects, and proved last year that he can complete at the big league level, posting a 3.69 ERA in 15 starts which is well above average, and if it were not for a few blowup starts mixed in, we are probably talking an era in the 3.30's.

I think this trade has the potential to work out very well for both teams. The Rays had a logjam in the outfield with Crawford, Gomes, Upton, Young, Dukes (if he can get his act together), and a few minor leaguers just about ready. The Rays really needed to add a quality arm or two to their rotation to complement Kazmir and Shields and they have done so with Garza. A rotation of Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Sonnanstine, and possible Hamel doesn't look all that bad, and over the next few years those guys could really turn them into a respectable franchise.

Delmon Young has the potential to be a complete 5 tool player and the Twins can control him for the next 5 years, but you really have to question the Twins direction here, considering that assuming Santana is traded and Silva leaves as a free agent, the only hold overs in the Twins rotation will be Scott Baker and Kevin Slowey who have a career 59 start between them (48 are Bakers) and look like nothing more the a 4 and 5 starter, and Liriano coming of major surgery is a big question mark. That leaves two big holes to fill. Any pitching prospect they get for Santana, they essentially already had in Garza, and with a weak free agent class i don't see them getting much to fill out the rotation. Young may be the better player over the long haul, but from a team perspective I think the Rays will benifit from this deal much sooner than the Twins will

• 1 decade ago

This is a good trade for both teams, the Rays are loaded with talent in the OF; they need to unload some baggage and Young has plenty of it. He is a phenominal talent but at the same time Garza is a great talent as well and the Rays need pitching bad. The Twins need an OF and this trade is the precursor to the Santana deal with the Yankees...where the Twins will get at least two of the big pitching prospects from the Yankees. This is only the beginning, you have to wait on this trade for everything else to shake out.

You are right that he could be the next Mickey Mantle but he could also be the next JD Drew...phenominal talent that never pans out to be as great as predicted.

• 1 decade ago

I think it's a deal that works well both ways solving issues for both sides somewhat. I also have a feeling that the Rays' made this deal because they were worried about Delmon Young's makeup and potential for being a bit of a head case. Why else would they deal him.? I would say they probably lose him the moment he becomes a free agent anyways. That is a number of years away but I think Young wasn't happy there. It makes the Rays a little better in my estimation. I buy into Garza's stuff which give the Rays a nice one-two-three combo (provided they don't trade Kazmir). Plus they have a good outfield without Young. Maybe Young turns out to be the superstar everyone predicted but he isn't a very patient hitter with a terrible k-bb ratio. If he doesn't improve on that pitchers are just going to give him crap to hit. That is not to say that the Twins didn't make a smart move dealing for him either. He just needs to play ball and be a decent citizen...unlike his girlfriend slapping brother...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'll tell you what they were thinking....but since you have your mind made up...you probably won't listen..

Young is good...maybe very good...but he has a low ceiling...he is a pretty sure fire .310, 22 homer type guy...but very few scouts see him as much better than that...he won't ever hit 40 homers, much less 50, like the Mick...he'll never win any triple crowns..

He is what he is, a very good player, who's perceived value is higher than his real value...that exactly is the type of guy the Rays need to trade away...you will get more than the guy is really worth.

That said, I still would rather have him than Garza...

Young is good, but he is closer to Mickey Rivers, than Mickey Mantle...

• 1 decade ago

DRays are loaded with young bats especially in the outfield. Dukes is a decent young power bat and should be playing everyday. Then they got Baldelli back and Gomes another bat. Drays need pitching badly and they made a good trade to land Garza.

If Twins want Delmon Young, then you know he is good.

This is likely a prequel to the Yankees/Twins trade because we all know DRays are like the Yanks 4A farm system team.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mickey Mantle and Delmon Young never belong in the same sentence together. Ever.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Matt Garza has top of the rotation stuff and the rays have little pitching. You can have a batting order of solid hitters who'll bat .300 and give you 30 home runs and 100 rbi's but if you don't have good pitching you'll never when a championship. Since you're a Yankee fan you should know this.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Devil Rays or should I the Rays have a ton of outfielders but little to no pitching with the exception of Scott Kazmir. The bottom line is that the Rays realized that their pitching staff is weak and sacrificed offense for pitching. Not that it matters especially since the Rays have a ton of other hitters and outfielders on their team lkike I already mentioned.

• 1 decade ago

The Rays have set a real precedent for several seasons now by recruiting good to excellent talent and then "farm clubbing". The situation is no different with Young. For me, that incident with him throwing his bat and hitting an umpire was as reprehensible as when Alomar spit in the umpire's face several years ago.

Mantle-like??? No way. Don't even insult the great Mick by putting this guy in a class alongside him.

• 1 decade ago

He threw a bat at an ump in the minors, so he should have been permanently kicked out of baseball period. Besides, with that temper he will make Albert Belle, known for flipping off the Indians fans and spousal abuse on oh so many occasions, look like a darn saint.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.