Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

ending a 20 year friendship?

last month I was with a friend that I had known for over 20 years, we were in his garage and I was helping him move stuff around accidently I bumped into a table and it knocked over a drill press and broke. My friend went ballastic and made a big deal out of it and I felt bad and offered to pay for it. Well he charge me $250.00 I was up set but said I need to wait 2 weeks to get paid he said fine but would like to get this over with as soon as possible. a week went by and he reminded me about it saying he had to go buy a new one and all the time he lost over my clumsyness. when 2 weeks came around he said wheres the money and at this point I told him you know my financial situation I have the money and I'm bringing it over tommorrow, he went on with the hardship crap and I lost it. I told him I will never go in your garage again nor your car or house. I sent him the money by mail. he sent me an email saying he got it and pointed out everything was my fault. I don't want to talk to him

thanks for the responses. I paid him the 250 as I promised. but I got to say he has done this before that I know of-- with a girlfriend he once dated. he charged her $80 for shorting out a toaster. she left a week later, and he talked about her alledged stupidity for months. The bottom line about all this is that the broken drill press is not the issue it was the way the situation was handled, I paid him yet I receive awful emails, I dont want to talk --- It does not mean friendship to me. I lost trust, Im tired

Favorite Answer

In the end you have to ask yourself is a broken tool worth losing a 20 year friendship over? Hopefully once the both of you calm down, you will realize how stupid this is and remain friends.

I think it was kind of stupid for him to get all pist off like that but both of you will soon realize that it is not worth ending a 20 year relationship for some tool. Once the both of you are calmed you should talk about and probably laugh about it in the end.

Oh wow! If i were you, i would just give him the money and tell him for the last time that it was an accident and that i'm really sorry and i wouldnt talk to him anymore.. I mean, it is your fault that the drill is broken but he doesnt need to make such a big deal out of it, especially since you're gonna pay for it anyway..

Sometimes we stay in relationships because we are comfortable with the friendship. We stay on due to the fact that we've known each other for twenty years or so. When in fact the relationship no longer works for us. The fact that you were helping him move when you accidently broke something should have been reason enough for your friend to go lightly on your mistake. I say kick him to the curb cause your relationship seems to be only about him. You've come to the end of the road with this one. If you're having more bad times than good with ole boy move around.

It's somewhat your fault, but it was an accident. It's not like you picked up the thing and threw it against the wall. You being the friend, you offered to pay for it- which is what a true friend would do. But in the end, he's not being a true friend. Ask him what's worth more, your friendship or a stupid drill press.

Hope things turn out for you.

well people change.. you can "think" you know someone even after years of knowing them... and may find out in the end that there a completly different person then they once were... my advise to you is to realise that and move on... especially if they treat u like crap!

it is sad when you put matrial things before friend ship your things will break but true friendship is life. your friend my have other issues going on that you don't know about if this is his nature then you know what he is like