Contacting Record Companys?

My wife and I are starting our own company. One of the things we want to do is use some music that is copy protected.

I want to make sure how we do it is legal, and the only way i know how is to ask the companys, but im having trouble finding their contact info even on their own sites... Any ideas on how i should be searching?

Favorite Answer

Hello. I work for a record company. I don't think you need to go to the record companies themselves to get permission to use copy protected tracks but you may need to. You should first find out which performing rights organization licenses the songs and go to them for licensing (may be a fee). They will direct you further if you need to do more. The three organizations listed below license most of the musical recordings in the world:

American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP)

(212) 621-6000

info@ascap.com

www.ascap.com

Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)

(800) 925-8451

www.BMI.com

genlic@BMI.com

Society of European Stage Authors and Composers (SESAC)

(800) 826-9996

(212) 586-3450

license@sesac.com

We put this information directly on the albums themselves - usually inside the booklets with the writer and publisher information, or you can look the them up online by doing a search by song title.

Good luck.

Hope this helps.

Try starting by looking under copyright laws...you should be able to narrow it down from there.

• kirgan

you like greater desirable than one music in case you go with interest. make a three music demo and seem up which labels settle for unsolicited demos (frequently on the "touch us" web site). make certain you have copyrights too- record labels are traditionally not greater truthful than human beings on youtube. i am going with to advise making a 5+ music ep and copyrighting the entire venture- that way you retain funds by way of paying as quickly as for 5 copyrights as a replace of a separate fee for each music. If the music is quite almost as good as you're saying and additionally you sell it adequate then you definately might desire to be large, inspite of the undeniable fact that appearing stay could for sure help you many.