Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 1 decade ago

I changed the fluid on trans now it doesn't run the same. It's a 2002 Impala 3.8. Mostly when its hot or warm.

I had only changed the trans fliud on my car when now I drive it does not respond how it used too. It seems as thou the car does this mostly when fully warm. If I turn off the car to go to the store and come back out everything seems fine, then again after few minutes same thing like a stall feeeling motion. But if I engage the nuetral gear engine revs with no problem which leads me to believe it has to do with tranny and not the engine. Besides all I did was change the transmission oil. Could someone help me out?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You should make sure you used the correct typew of tranny fluid. Some trannies use a non-standard "viscosity-modified" fluid. The hydraulic functions are very sensitive to the viscosity.

Also when you change the fluid, usually you change the filter and the slight change in the back-pressure affects the hydraulics.

• 1 decade ago

As stated in your other trans question, these trannys are known problems...take it to a trans shop...they normally have rebuilt ones ready to go due to the frequency of problems with them...already modified and updated to prevent the same problems...but will set you back about $1500.

Subject: 4T65E Light Throttle 1-2 Shift Shudder - keywords chuggle first hesitation #PIP3822 - (05/23/2006)

Models:

2001-2006 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue

2002-2006 Buick Rendezvous

2005-2006 Buick Terraza, LaCrosse, Allure (Canada)

2001-2004 Buick Regal

2001-2005 Buick Century

2001-2006 Chevrolet Impala

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS, Malibu Maxx SS

2001-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Venture

2005-2006 Chevrolet Uplander

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora, Intrigue

2001-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette

2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek, Bonneville

2001-2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

2001-2006 Pontiac Montana

2005-2006 Pontiac Montana SV6

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP

2005-2006 Saturn Relay

Condition

Some customers may comment on a 1-2 shift shudder at light to moderate acceleration. Typically, the throttle plate angle parameter is 12-20% at time of condition with vehicle speed of approximately 24-40 km/h (15-25 mph). The customer may describe the condition as slip or delayed shift into second.

Correction

Replace the complete second clutch assembly with service kit, P/N 24240561. Refer to the GM Unit Repair Service Manual for the year and model of the vehicle being serviced for the 2nd Clutch service procedure.

This service kit contains: Second Clutch Housing Fluid Seal Rings (613), a Second Clutch Assembly (617), a Case Cover (Channel Plate) Upper Gasket (430), and a Case Cover (Channel Plate) Lower Gasket (429). In addition to the content of this service kit, four other gaskets not included in this service kit will also be needed to complete the repair, a Control Valve Body Cover (Side Cover) Gasket (54), a Control Valve Body Cover (Side Cover) Inner Gasket (59), a Case Cover Lower Gasket (429), and a Case Cover Upper Gasket (430). These gaskets can be obtained by ordering service kit P/Ns 24206959 and 24206391.

Be sure to use ONLY the Second Clutch Assembly and Second Clutch Housing Fluid Seal Rings provided in this service kit. DISCARD the Second Clutch Assembly and Second Clutch Housing Fluid Seal Rings removed from the transmission being serviced.

Disassemble ONLY the Oil Pump Assembly from the Case Cover (Complete). DO NOT disassemble the Control Valve Body from the Case Cover. Remove ONLY the Case Cover-to-Case bolts to remove the Case Cover and Valve Body from Transmission Case AS AN ASSEMBLY . To access all Case Cover-to-Case bolts, it is necessary to remove the Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Assembly (322), and 1-2 & 3-4 Shift Solenoid Valve Assemblies (315A, 315B).

Important: This service kit does not contain the gaskets and/or seals necessary to service the Case Cover and Control Valve Body, if they are disassembled from each other. Please review the graphic above for Pump Body-to-Case (230), Pump Cover-to-Case (231), Control Valve Body-to-Case (377), Manual Shift Detent Assembly-to-Case (805), and Case Cover-to-Case (433, 434, 435, 436, 374, 379, 380, 384) bolt locations.

Notice: Failure to use the parts in the service kit as instructed will cause improper function, and possible transmission distress.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Miles on the vehicle? Did you change the fluid/filter on a maint schedule? Heres the skinny on trans maint. If you abide by the manufactures suggestion of flushing the trans on the schedule they suggest, then by all means continue doing so. However, if you never have done a trans flush and you are well passed the mileage suggested, DO NOT DO IT. DO NOT disturb that trans at all. Not even a filter change. After a period of time, the trans will become dependent so to speak on the debris in the fluid. You remove that fluid and all hell will break loose.

Source(s): Told to me by a GM trans mechanic of 35 years experience.
  • 1 decade ago

this trans holds 6 qt of fluid when servicing the pan and filter, it will show full on one side of the dipstick with just 3 qts, so if didnt add up to six than more than likely thats your problem, I've serviced transmissions with 100k miles on them and didn't experiance any problems, unless you serviced it to fix a problem.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Brad K
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Did you replace the filter? Many people either knock the filter loose, or instal it without the o-ring and ruin the transmision. Transmision shops love it when people change thier own fluid!!

• 1 decade ago

How did you change the fluid?

What type of fluid did you use?

Do you have the correct fluid level?

Any service lights (check engine) lights on?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

you could put a trans additives or use your car for an oyster bed and buy a FORD

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.