Is it correct to say "a goods", shouldn't it be "a good" or "goods"?

My english teacher (i live in france, so she teaches us the language, even though i know it) thinks it's correct to say "a goods". I don't. If you know the answer please tell me, and if by chance you have a site (only if you do though, answer even if you don't have one) could you write it? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ljb
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

"A goods" is incorrect: the word "a" is used for singular forms, and the word "goods" is plural.

The word "goods" is used for possessions, especially movable personal property. When referring to merchandise, for example, a person might refer to "the goods."

Whether it would be correct to say "a good" depends on the way in which you are using the word "good." It would be correct to say, "She did a good deed," for example. However, if the word "good" is used as a noun, the phrase "a good" would not work. It would be incorrect to refer to a single item of merchandise (see the previous reference to the meaning of "goods") as "a good;" in that instance, you would still either say "the goods" or you would use another noun -- for example, "an item," "a unit," etc., as appropriate in the circumstance.

Hope that helps.

• 1 decade ago

No, you're right it should be 'a good' if you are talking about one specific thing..

Same rule as ever, a word that doesn't normally have an 'S' on the end, only gains an 'S' without an apostrophy when it's plural

• 1 decade ago

You are correct. It is always "goods" and never "good." So "a" good is just all wrong. It is simply, goods.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"A" refers to one thing. "Goods" means "more than one", so you would say "the goods", not "a goods".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.