Squirrley Temple asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Is it a good idea to let my dog eat crushed eggshells?

He's a 6 month old dachshund, and I am wondering since eggshells have calcium, is it ok, or good for him to eat the crushed shells?

He had gotten into the garbage and was eating them, and growled at me when I tried to take them away......

Hoppy, I understand what you mean, but I did say "crushed" shells... I would never deliberately give him something that might hurt him

Favorite Answer

It's really not bad for him in the nutritional sense. Unfortunately if he is crunching on them, he can cut his mouth. Egg shells, oyster shells, and other hard materials like this are usually ground up and added to feeds for the calcium content. As a fine powder, they are great, as small chunks, not so much. He was probably more interested in the little bits of egg left inside the shell than the actual shell. I would also be concerned about bacteria he could get from the trash. He could get Salmonellosis, Listeriosis (though not as likely), or any number of other diarhheal diseases.

I would work on that guarding behavior as well. A dog should never growl when you take something away from it. It's a behavior that can be worked with, as long as you catch it early, and discourage it strongly. Here's a website from the ASPCA on guarding:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pets...

Since he's a growing pup, it really wouldn't hurt him to have the extra calcium. If you grind it up pretty finely (I would boil the shells first to get rid of contaminants) and mix it with a bit of wet food I think it would be beneficial.

Source(s): Veterinary Student, 2nd year

Eggshells For Dogs

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): good idea dog eat crushed eggshells: https://shortly.im/UBwop

It's not a bad thing to give your dog crushed eggshells occasionally, they are a good source of calcium. I'd be more concerned that my pup was growling at me. You need to work on that. You should be able to reach into your pup's mouth and take anything out, including food, without any growling or biting.

Egg Shells For Dogs

They're fine. Dogs can eat raw eggs 2-3 times a week.

I give my dogs eggs once or twice a week and when I do, I rinse the eggshells, dry them and then grind them in a coffee grinder that I use for this purpoose. It pulverizes the shells and then I add that to their food. My dogs are larger dogs, so ask your Vet if he or she would recommend the extra calcium or not for your smaller dog.

Absolutely!!

Dogs have DIFFERENT stomachs than we do....

In the BARF diet (Bones And Raw Food) they are an essential part of the diet. If you dry out the shells, crush them very small (almost into a powder) and then add barley powder or lethicin, it is a wonderful supplement to their diet. Calcium, Omegas, etc.

No worries about upset stomach - because if he can't take it or it makes him unwell, he'll throw it up! then you'll know!

Good luck!! and don't let him growl at you!!! you are in charge and HIS BOSS!! :-)

They shouldn't, directly do him any harm, but, more importantly, don't allow your dog to eat anything that (s)he DARES try to guard from you! Whether that be food, grass, eggshells or razor blades! That is NOT behaviour that you should ever acept, especially from such a young dog. Making a rod for your own back there.

• CF_

dachunds are notorious for eating bad things... including their own poop...

many foods actually contain egg shells - the problem is where did the eggs come from?? if they came from grocery store selling battery hen eggs the shells can be bad- they will contain alot of chemicals put into the chickens feed and hormones too.. AND who knows what they washed them with??

if its FREE RANGE EGGS you are probably okay...depends on how crushed they are -

I would keep your garbage someplace the dog cannot get it... there will be times that there are dangerous things like bones in the garbage and you will not want him getting those... teach him better mannars - NO WAY should a 6 month (or any age) dog be growling at you for taking something away.. teach him "DROP IT" and "LEAVE IT"