Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

I got caught stealing and i need some advice?

I went to k mart and switched soem price tags on the items and then i purchased them. then a guy escorted me to a room and took down al of my information, but he didnt not call the police. he said that this will not go on my record and that k marts attornies will probably bill me a fine. is that true? and if so how much will the fine be so switching tags on some shampoo and a bar of soap. please help, by the way i am 19. and because the cops werent involve cant they stil fil out a police report and put my name in it? and or will i have a court date! YES i now know stealing is wrong i just neeed some helpful advice.

Favorite Answer

It sounds like K-Mart is giving you a break. You should consider yourself lucky and Learn A Lesson From This.

If you've never been caught "stealing" before they will be lenient enough, you also didn't steal stuff outright, you switched tags so that is also in your favour, they may or may not fine you depending on what kind of person processed you, they might just scare the bejasus out of you an leave it at that. But I hear walmart are cracking down so you could be unlucky. I'm guessing you just plain broke an really needed the stuff cos you did it with soap an stuff so ppl should leave you alone on that one, lesson learnt it was just a mistake. But start saving if you can incase you get a fine. In regards to the police report I highly doubt they will bother, as they already said they wouldn't, it's not really worth their time and effort for someone trying to buy stuff on the cheap. Now if you stole stuff worth a lot they'd kick your ***! :) don't panic you'll be fine, just go without next time though huh? ;)

How do you switch price tags around when they use bar codes now? Anyway you shouldn't be stealing in the first place. But if the cops were not involved then they won't fill out a police report.

You can be sued by kmart usually no less then $150.00 and no more then a $1000.00 depending on the state. I think they did not call the cops because the amount was nothing I'm assuming or the guy did not have enough evidence(steps) to convict you of a crime. Pay the fine and be happy that you were not arrested.

Source(s): 10 plus years of being a Loss Prevention Manager

Well, you will probably get something in the mail with a bill or fine if you want to call and it sounds like this would be your first offense and they will probably send you to some theft classes something like community service. I would just wait and see if your contacted by anyone and dont steal again.

Many states have laws that allow such a procedure. It's likely to be a couple of hundred dollars to "reimburse the merchant" for its expenses & damages. If you don't pay it they still have the right to file a criminal theft complaint which will result in a formal charge and court appearance -- you don't want that. If the amount they want is too high for you to pay, call them & see if you can negotiate a lower amount or a time payment.

If you pay a fine and agree that it is an out of court settlement then you wont be hearing any more on the matter.

No matter how much the fine is, pay it, or they will contact the police and take you to court.

Stealing is illegal.

You could go to jail.

But I believe at this point they won't get the authorities involved (maybe). It depends on how long ago it was.

But the only thing to worry about is if they fingerprint you. Once you get fingerprinted, it is a serious crime that will stay with you. If they don't its considered a minor offense.

Dont Steal!

Stop stealing. Advice has been given.