Do you need more than one layer of primer when painting interior walls?

My wife and I are just bought a new home and the walls are crayola colors. GREEN, ORANGE, RED, TEAL. We are going to paint lighter natural colors.

Please help as we are going to start painting on Monday the 3rd.

Thank you

Favorite Answer

No, just one coat of primer, however, it may be tinted to the top coat as best as possible. I have always believed that when you take the time to mask, cover, and move everything around, it is worth the time to put on two coats of the top coat. This will ensure a an even color and coverage and a piece of mind that you did a good job. good luck.

I suggest www.marthastewart.com. Under the home and decorating tab she has some great information about painting to make sure you get a beautiful and long lasting finish.

I had the same problem (and almost the same colors). I used Kilz primer/sealer. It worked well. You can also have it tinted close to your new color. One coat worked fine.

• lee b

you do not need a primer just a simple coat of white contract matt to blot out the color then any color to finish.

Source(s): pro painter and decorator 15 years