Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

New cat owner. Need advice and the such.?

My first pet ever, love him to death.

Im new to the pet thing so please, forgive the newbiness of the questions.

Hes 10 months old VERY hyper biting almost everything he can get his paws on.

How long does this "teething" last?

Is it something cats even go through?

Anything to keep him from biting through cords? (allready bit through two, one of which was a lamp (thank god it was not plugged in))

My mom had said something about bringing him to the vet before he starts "spraying" around the house? Im guessing this means when he wants to get it on with a female cat?

And is declawing cats frowned upon among cat owners?

I have no prob with cutting his nails when he sleeps. And hes not messing up the couches. Just asking in case the parents want it done. Thankyou in advance.

And if its any help I am 17. And he is domesticated.

Oh no no no, I didnt mean like cutting his claws I meant like, I trim them if they get to sharp, and if hes been like clawing at stuff he shouldnt be.

Thank you all for your advice so far. Keep it comin >_<

Im dumb, I didnt realize a mistake of mine. He nowhere near 10 months old. When I got him, he was like 8 weeks old. This was in late September. Sorry, its 1:30 am, im slow at night.

Favorite Answer

Cats do do the biting thing more when they are younger, yes. In order to help him along, I'd suggest rewarding him when he bites or plays appropriately and do the spray water bottle squirt (not on electric cords, though, make sure it gets on kitty) immediately when he acts up. Don't play with your fingers for him to chase or he will learn to bite them. I'd suggest putting lots of things around that kitty CAN play with, they make hanging/bouncing toys my cat loves, give him balls, catnip toys, etc. I'd highly suggest getting him neutered asap. The spraying she's referring to isn't about attracting a mate, it's more about marking territory. The spraying is it's urine. (this is why I prefer female kitties, but to each their own). The earlier you nip this in the bud, the better.

Declawing is bad bad bad! It's the equivalent to cutting our fingers off at the last knuckle. It's painful and unnecessary.. and if your cat ever gets out, that's his only real defense... or climbing trees, which of course cannot be done without nails... if things get desperate take him to a groomer, do them yourself, or get soft paws.

Source(s): cat owner 17+ years and going

Yeah, you have a young one. He'll either be teething for another 3-6 months and then start to calm down, or he'll just be one of those eternally un-lazy, playful cats. Either way, have fun! Enjoy it while it lasts, lol

Neutering doesn't do much in the way of preventing "spraying," I believe that's just a myth. And cats usually only spray if they're territory is threatened. This usually happens only when you interoduce a new cat to the family. But definitely get the cat neutered if you don't want it running around with all the she-cats and forgetting about life at home (it helps prevent the cat from running away from home)

You don't need to declaw cats, because their claws are naturally tucked into the paw. And NEVER CUT A CAT'S CLAWS (or whiskers). The claws and whiskers have nerves inside them, and to cut the claw off a cat would be the equivalent of chopping the tip of your finger off, right at the fingernail. Pretty painful. The only time cats' claws are out is when they're mad, or climbing a tree, etc. And besides that, some play toys involve the cat grabbing onto it, and this can't happen if the cat has no claws. So I offer a big NO to declawing the cat.

Additional information:

Feeding:

I know a lot of people who have their cats on diets, and only feed them certain amounts at certain times of the day. This is unnecessary labor, unless your cat happens to be an obese diabetic. I just pour food into bowl and the cats come and eat whenever they feel hungry, and they're 13+ years alive and kickin'! I've never had to take any of my cats to the vet either.

Inside vs. Outside:

I'm not a fan of keeping my cats inside, because weird stuff happens when instincts try taking over in a domesticated environment. But at the same time, alot of people hate free-roaming cats and will call up the pound on them. So what I do is I train them to just stay in the general area of my home. Doing this is simple: Just keep them inside for a week or two, until they get comfortable. You then slowly adjust them to outside by, say, taking them into the backyard and playing with them. Let them explore, but not too far! Just keep them close, so that you don't need to chase after them... because you won't catch them. Cats are fast, especially kittens about 10 months old. But when the cat is adjusted to stay around the house, he won't go farther than a couple houses down the street. Now you can keep him outside at night if you want, so he can hunt and play (cats are nocturnal, and they'd be jumping all over the place inside at night), and let him in in the morning.

Good luck and have a great time with your new cat!

-Joe

Source(s): I've had maybe 1000 cats in my lifetime... lost count a long time ago.

The cat is at an age where it would be best to get him neutered ASAP. I got my male cat fixed at 5mos. and he never developed the habit of spraying. Yours might start pretty much any time.

The way I trained my cats not to mess with electrical cords is to say "No!" when I see them do it. Because cats are so sensitive to how we feel, when I say that No!, I project all the horror of what could happen if the cat got electrocuted, and it only takes a few times before they see that I really mean business, that it is a very bad thing - not like the "no" they get when they jump up on the table, which is more like, which is a rule for my convenience and it just annoys when they break it. You can also get Bitter Apple spray that tastes really nasty to keep the cat from wanting to chew on things.

If he is biting you, remember not to play with him with your bare hands. He has no idea that your skin is not as tough as his nice thick fur, and that he is hurting you. So play with him with toys, or maybe a glove or something, but not bare hands. They do make some toys that are good for biting on, so perhaps a few of those would help.

Clipping the cat's claws while he is relaxed is a good thing to do - especially if you have had a vet or groomer show you how far up to clip. If his claws are white, you might be able to see where it gets pinkish inside. That's the quick, where there is a blood vessel and nerves. If you clip too far, it will bleed. But it sounds like you have already been doing a great job with that. I clipped the claws of all the cats I have had since I was on my own. It helps keep their claws from getting too long and creating callouses on their toe pads, and it reduces the damage they do to furniture, clothes and skin. Scratching posts are also great for this, as well as good exercise for the cat. Here is a link that will explain why many people don't think declawing is a good option: http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html

Best of luck to you.

P.S. I meant to add, feeding the cat really good quality canned food, stuff not available at grocery stores, if at all possible, may save you thousands of dollars in veterinary bills down the road. Cats developed as a desert species, and got most of their liquid needs through the bodies of prey animals, so they did not develop much of a thirst instinct. If you feed only dry food, your cat may become chronically dehydrated and develop urinary tract issues when he is older. So canned food is a much better choice. Some people will tell you that dry food is better on the teeth, but dry food has more carbohydrates, and cause more tooth decay. Regardless of what you feed your cat, if you notice him going to the litterbox real often, or straining like he is constipated, he needs to go to the vet. ASAP. Cats can develop crystals in their urinary tract, kinda like kidney stones, which then cause infection. For male cats this is a very serious condition because the crystals can block their urinary tract. If completely blocked, it is only a matter of hours before it is too late. I don't mean to be all doom-and-gloom-y but that is something I learned about the hard way. It's a fairly common condition, so it is worth knowing about beforehand.

1. definitely remove at least the front claws. I remove front and back of mine. However, they are strictly indoor cats.

2. Cats are highly territorial

3. Cats choose to be warm and affectionate at their time.

4. We as humans like a variety of foods. Cats can and will eat the same food for years. Why so many kinds on the market then? Because humans like different foods and cats don't go shopping, we do.

4. Locate the eating place at different places from time to time. Cats are hunters and will find the food.

5. One cat is nice, two cats can be, a third is a nightmare not to mention what it can do to their unique personalities.

6. Definitely have the pet neutered.

7. Remember that some people are alergic to cats. So let visitors know there is a cat living in the house.

8. Don't feed the cat only soft foods. The hard cereal types are needed for their teeth.

9. Cats don't produce the amino acids needed to break down milk products so leave it off the menu.

10. A cold wet nose is a quick health check. A dry nose from time to time is to be expected. Just keep a check and make sure it doesn't last for days.

11. Cats prefer fresh water. So even if the water bowl is half full consider emptying it and filling it back up.

12. Have all of the necessary shots given. If the cat already has lukemia, which is common, no need to get the shot. It only prevents not cure.

13. You can buy all of the fun toys in the store if you want to, but a wadded up piece of paper or cardboard box will win out as the favorite toy.

14. Never discipline the cat with your hand. If you do, when you reach down to pet the cat it will be assumed that punishment is on the way. Instead use a lightly rolled newspaper or spray bottle with water.

15. As much as we see cats curled up in pictures a really contented cat is stretched out for all its worth.

16 Keep your computer keyboard out his path.

17 Don't assume that because your cat is so loving to you that he will love everyone that comes around.

18. A cats hearing is extremely elevated. What sounds like a level 2 or 3 on your volume dial will sound like level 10 for the cat. Vacuum cleaners, mixers, some shavers, etc. will be be very stressful for a cat. So if he runs from these things it is more likely because of the intensity of the sound and because the cat is afraid.

19. A cat is very sensitive to touch. That is one of the reasons they respond with a high arched back when you touch them. It like you getting a big case of the goose bumps. Pet them very gently.

20. Pet ownership is a responsible duty. Treat them with respect. Cruelty to animals is never warrented.

I have owned many cats throughout the years and have found them to be a valuable asset to my life. All of my cats have been castaways. Sometimes as I ponder what is my purpose in life I often amuse myself with the thought that I was put here simply to take care of a few stray cats along the way. May your new pet be a joy to you.

he'll calm down after a while. The spraying is cause he is marking his territiory. Declawing, that depends on the owner. They remove the claws so the dont grow back. i wouldnt CUT their nails but you can if they get to long. Also if you start now you can train your cat to take baths. Just fill a tub or sink with like an inch put him in let him sit for a few seconds take him out give him a treat and continuely increase the time you leave him in over the course of like a month. Try getting some tube socks and cutting the toes out and putting them around cords it works sometimes. Good luck

I have 3 cats - 2 of which I raised since they were babies. They will go through a biting phase for awhile. You really need to nip that in the butt as soon as possible. If you play rough with kitty then don't as that encourages him to bite and be rough back. He doesn't know that it hurts you. If he did this to his cat-mom then she would probably scold him by hissing or even biting back. I don't suggest that you bite your cat as that would not be to good to do, but you can make sure that he understands that he hurts you by quickly thumping him on the nose. Do it sort of like a flick, not hard just enough to get his attention. He won't like it much and it will stun him at first but soon he will associate that to biting you and stop. As for the declawing, I personally think that is cruel. There are training sprays that you can buy at pet stores. Spray it on the furniture - it will smell bad to the cat but more than likely you won't smell a thing. As a method of detouring the cats attention away from the furniture, buy him a scratching post and spray it with a catnip scent. This will attract the kitty to it instead...and cats are hilarious to watch when they get a wiff of catnip. Other than that, take your kitten to the vet not later than 9 to 12 weeks for neutering. You should take the kitten to the vet at about 6 weeks to make sure that he is healthy and the vet will probably be able to recommend an appropriate diet and care regimin. Enjoy your little kitty. They are great pets.

• anw122

I had problems with my cat biting things and chewing through wires. We tried the bitter apples [or whatever it's called] but that didn't work for us. What did work was we had to spray for bugs near our veggie plants. So we bought a veggie plant, animal, baby safe bug spray from Raid which actually kept her from biting on things. I recommend trying the sour apples bitter stuff first though.

Male cats spray to mark territory after about 6 months of age when they reach puberty and can mate with female cats. This is the age which vets recommend getting them neutered [my kitten is going in next Tuesday].

Declawing is bad. Cats claws are connected to the bone. In order to declaw them they surgically remove part of bone. Imagine having your finger from the top joint to the nail cut off. Aside from the US and Canada declawing is considered animal cruelty and illegal in other countries. We found a product called Soft Paws [softpaws.com] which is a cap that's put over the cats claw which allows them to stretch and scratch [without damaging anything] like normal. When the nail sheds so does the cap. Replace about every 4-6 weeks. Plus they come in all kinds of colors. Just put them on while he's sleeping just like when you trim his nails.

You know to watch out for the quick [the vein] inside the nail when you're trimming his claws right? Also buy some styptic in case you do accidently cut into it. It'll stop the bleeing. it's what men used to use to stop bleeding when they shaved.

Source(s): Personal Experience - I have an 8 months old female and 6 month old male

6 months is a good age to get him fixed. Also, there's a series of vaccines he needs. You can start them around 12 weeks i think. this will protect him from a bunch of feline diseases.

I definitely would never declaw a cat!! It puts them at a terrible disadvantage if they are ever outside, they cannot climb or protect themselves in any way. It basically confines them to being an indoor cat for the rest of their life.

Anyways have fun with it! they are so much fun at that age. they can also be a handful, like a little kid you have to watch it!

if ur a first time having a cat dont touch him in the first 3 days but try to call him /her on the named u give him/her or "here kitty kitty" with a food on your hand this will help to tame your cat also in kittens too

ohhh how wonderful both of my cats are declawed and neutered you dont want him to spray, if he is 10 months than he prob. already is so get him neutered asap. otherwise he will grow out of all that and become a big fat lover lol