Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Extra virgin olive oil bad for frying???

i've heard that it's bad to use olive oil for frying because it somehow changes it from a healthy fat to an unhealthy fat. how? if yes, at what degree of temperature? can someone direct me to a good article?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Extra virgin olive oil isn't really used for deep frying because it has a low smoking point, so it starts smoking at a lower temperature so what you are trying to deep fry will not be crispy and as brown and will probably sit in the oil longer than you want it to. You can, however, use it for things like frying up chicken cutlet. I use it for everything, but deep frying...in that case I use something canola oil.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Extra Virgin Olive Oil Frying

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, the oil doesn't change from healthy to bad. Virgin olive oil burns and burnt food is carcinogenic.

The smoke point of olive oil is 250 F. Pommace olive oil would be better for pan-frying because the smoke point is 425 F. However, virgin olive oil is made from using "cold pressing", which is a natural process. Pommace olive oil is a highly processed oil in which they use chemical to extract the oil.

I've done research into healthy oils for deep frying. The restaurant where I was working wanted the healthiest oil possible. Peanut oil has the highest smoke point and is ideal when stir-frying with a wok. The temperatures get up to 400 F+ using this method. Deep fryers use a temperature of 350 F. I found that rice oil is the best for this.

Fried foods in general are unhealthy and should be limited in your diet. But if you want to indulge a little, then rice oil is your best bet.

Hope this helps

Source(s): Chef with 27 years of experience Wikipedia "On Cooking" - Labensky and Hause
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Modern People Paleo Guide : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?GXAj
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kelly
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It's a waste of money. It smokes too quickly to be a good frying oil, and it has a very strong flavor which will overpower you food. Use canola or safflower oil and save the expensive olive oils for salad or garlic bread. To those other posters: Not that Rachel Ray needs defending, but she has several cooking shows, and you don't. She must be doing something right.

• 1 decade ago

Good Question.. Not unless you are reusing the oil several times and bringing it to it's Smoking point(250F)

Quote from Site I linked below...

Olive Oil Myth: Heating a cooking oil will make it saturated or a trans-fatty oil.

The Facts:

As far as making a saturated fat, according to Dr. A. Kiritsakis, a world renowned oil chemist in Athens, (Book - OLIVE OIL FROM THE TREE TO THE TABLE -Second edition 1998), all oils will oxidize and hydrogenate to a tiny degree if repeatedly heated to very high temperatures such as is done in commercial frying operations.

Olive pomace oil and virgin olive oil are both highly monounsaturated oils and therefore resistant to oxidation and hydrogenation.

Studies have shown oxidation and hydrogenation occurs to a lesser degree in olive oil than in other oils. In any case, the amount of hydrogenation is miniscule and no home cook would ever experience this problem.

Hope that answers your questions =)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Extra virgin olive oil bad for frying???

i've heard that it's bad to use olive oil for frying because it somehow changes it from a healthy fat to an unhealthy fat. how? if yes, at what degree of temperature? can someone direct me to a good article?

Source(s): extra virgin olive oil bad frying: https://tr.im/Y5o6q
  • 1 decade ago

Extra virgin olive oil isn't really used for deep frying

• 1 decade ago

Corp City is the MAN, I mean woman. She is absolutely correct EXCEPT use Peanut oil for deep frying it is a much healthier fat. OR use coconut oil.

• 1 decade ago

i dont know about the unhealthy part but it has a low smoke point and will burn quickly when frying. try frying with peanut oil or if your allergic normal cooking oil is the cheapest and just as as effective. Try 350 deggrees for most recipies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.