Can I drink tea with my retainer in?

I vaguely recall my orthodontist telling me when I could and couldn't wear my retainer... but that was a year or more ago and I honestly don't remember, and I'd hate to call them because they're always rather rude. So I was hoping one of you brilliant people would know! Would it be safe to drink hot... show more I vaguely recall my orthodontist telling me when I could and couldn't wear my retainer... but that was a year or more ago and I honestly don't remember, and I'd hate to call them because they're always rather rude. So I was hoping one of you brilliant people would know! Would it be safe to drink hot tea (decaffeinated green tea with orange zest, if it matters) with no sugar while my retainer is in? I really don't see the harm, but I'm far from an expert on the subject and I really have no idea. In the past I've always taken it out, but that gets pretty inconvenient because I drink several cups of tea a day.

Thanks!
Update: Oh, I have both the top and bottom retainer, if that matters.