Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRap and Hip-Hop · 1 decade ago

Best mic for home recording studio No more than $128(I need it for Rap/Hip Hop and R&B)? or best studio >$794

No more than $128

includes:

Mic

Mic stand Mount(Doesn't have to be shock mount)

Mic Stand

Cables

Phantom Power(if needed)

My opinion:

Samson C01U USB Mic w/ Sonar Le and Usb Cord(10ft)

i was told not good mic because its USB and its for podcasting and not for singing.

My Idea was:

Ultra 6521 Microphone Stand (Floor, Black)

OnStage ASVS6GB Microphone Pop Filter

_______________________________________________

$128 Free Shipping

Mixcraft3

Virtual Multitrack Recorder with 16 Fx Download Version

$49.95

Beats365

Over 98,000 beats and sounds

$29.95

Dell Pc w/ wireless card and router

PROCESSOR AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic - English

MEMORY 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs

HARD DRIVE 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

SOUND Integrated Sound Blaster®Audigy™ HD Software Edition

$586 Free Shipping

Total:$793.90

Favorite Answer

The USB mic will get you up and running fast, but I doubt you will like the results if doing more than talking. Since the mic directly puts out USB, you have no gain control. This means that the mic is likely to distort and you have no way to customize the gain structure to your style of music. I would recommend some preamp that allows USB connection and +48v (phantom) like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMPpsUSB...

and maybe a mic like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Percep100/

I know that puts you over budget, but the $128 on a USB mic is going to be wasted anyway. Maybe consider a mic like this to save money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SCM-90...

That would put you at $150. Either way, getting something that is a preamp with phantom power and USB connectivity is important. If and when you do have more money for a better mic, you can still get whatever mic you want and still use the pramp-audio interface. There might be cheaper pres that get you to USB, but I haven't seen them for cheaper than $99. Good luck and have fun recording!

This is a hard one to work out. When you say acoustic music what exactly do you mean? Acoustic guitar and vocals? Live style music with no amps but basically a full band? Or just the vocal tracks layered over ready made music? Even if you give us that much information then we would have to hear the type of music that you are playing and know how competent you are with equipment. I have tried several different options with my band but we ended up wasting a vast amount of money before recording our first CD due to random advice. I'd say ignore all comments on here and go to your local music store and talk to them about equipment. They can gage what you want and give you pro advice and get your response straight up. You will only waste money if following tips from us and my studio wouldn't suit your type of music without more money being invested. If you want a simple recording of a lowish quality then you can buy pretty much anything on the market. If you want it to sound good then you either have to build your studio to your style or invest on a whole professional set up. Personally I'd go with the former rather than the latter.