Why do people?

Why do people fear what they dont understand?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Because when you don't understand something or haven't been exposed to it, you are very suggestive. You have no reason not to believe every negative thing you've ever heard. Then your mind gets set against it, and it's almost impossible to convince you that things aren't that way. You have to eventually experience it to realize that it won't hurt you.

For example, if you have a fear of snakes, it's probably because you have never held one and you think it will bite you. Or maybe you have held one and it did bite you, and you think every snake will do that. You will probably think that until you force yourself to hold them again and realize that it will be ok (unless you're trying to hold some aggressive ultra-venomous species! That's just stupid :-)

Just a little side-note, I think that's why the American public is so suggestable when it comes to foreign cultures. Even though we have the most diverse nation on earth, fewer than 15% of our citizens have a passport. Hardly anyone has any experience with Islam or the Middle East, so it's easy to believe that the small sect of radicals represents the whole religion. If anyone went to visit those countries, they would probably come away with a whole new opinion of the people. Not to say the region's not volatile, but if you visited a family they would greet you warmly and treat you extremely well (I'm speaking from experience here). It's the same principle as the snakes - a few will bite you, you should be careful around them. But many are ok, you just have to experience it to be sure.

• ARTY
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You pretty much just answered your own question within your question, allot of people will fear what they don't understand because they don't understand it, and after the fear when they first encounter it, they don't take the time to learn any details about who or what they don't understand and it turns into what i like to call a form of cowardly hatred.

But mind you, fear isn't always from a misunderstanding, it can be an extreme form of respect and it could also come from someone understanding too much.

• 1 decade ago

I understand very well what I fear, so whats the question?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Primal survival instinct.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It's the nature of being.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

because its human nature, if someone was chasing you and you didnt understand y they were doing this would you be afraid and run?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.