Can't say the word "Christmas" in Public schools, Saginaw Michigan. -Got a question for you?

When do you folks plan to shut down those schools (which you own) and fire your employees who work in them?

Seedna,

Better yet, let's send an ACLU member over to Arabia, have them stand on a street corner and proclaim that God does not exist -and then check back in with us and let us know how that works out for them. :D

Favorite Answer

I'm Jewish and have never been insulted when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas. I always had Christmas off from school and work, so I took it to mean "Enjoy the season and your day off from school/work!" And, when my parents took me to the stores and I insisted on sitting on Santa's lap and having my photo taken, when Santa asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I knew I wasn't getting anything from Santa! I wasn't insulted, it was a photo with Santa that was important!

Those who are offended really need to get a lid on their emotions. I've attended Catholic masses and I don't kneel and/or stand, or take communion. I simply sit and respect the church, the religious practices, and my friends who invited me. I don't understand why it's so important for some to demand respect. It always gave me a good feeling to give respect freely and with no strings. Those who are demanding respect for their opinions/religion get neither respect or good feelings.

• Bob

Lol, wow. I'm a bit of a hypocrite, because I think changing Christmas to Holiday (especially referring to christmas trees as holiday trees) is ridiculous, but it's a necessary evil to ensure there is nothing completely immoral like encouraging prayer or religion in schools.

These poor kids are already subject to undue influence outside of school to join one cult or another (Christianity, Mormonism, etc), the government certainly shouldn't be promoting a given group by allowing its propaganda to be broadcast to vulnerable students.

I love America, and support it's laws and constitution. While "separation of church and state" is actually not in the constitution as many people seem to think, the basic premise of the government not promoting any religion is an incredibly important value that our country is based upon. Would you rather be getting lashed in the Sudan for naming a teddy bear after a religious figure?

Unfortunately, people are stupid, and can't differentiate between forcing religion upon easily pressured schoolchildren and the term "Christmas". It's a case where you have to get rid of everything even remotely religious to ensure that some psycho jesus freak will not say you're contradicting yourself.

The person that says it's not really a religious holiday anyway is correct, it was originally a pagan holiday the christians adopted to get the pagans to join their religion, and just sorta tied jesus to it. So, it never was a valid holiday anyway, but even so, it's so commercial that most semblences of religion are gone. Which is nice, cause it's more fun this way.

All in all, I'd much rather have to say Happy Holidays instead of sit through prayer that conflicts with my beliefs.

And to the morons that claim that taking prayer out of schools promotes school violence and other such calamities- the people that do the school shootings are the people that feel alone and miserable. Don't you think if a non-christian student was forced to deal with a christian based school environment that would make them feel like an outsider, and in fact encourage the tendencies that create murderers?

How about you people pay the money to put your kids in private religious schools, and stop trying to tell everybody else how the PUBLIC schools should be managed?

Political correctness is killing the United States. It was actually one of the top 5 ways to spread communisum and topple our country. During the days of Hitler and Stalin, if you said something that the government deamed "Inappropriate" you were either killed or sent to to be indoctrined in "political correctness". Now we as americans have to watch what we say or express how we feel for fear of being a racist or fearmonger. Yet when we are called that by "The Left" noone says a word to them for name calling. Its sad actually. When we lose our freedoms it will be just like 9/11 with people asking "What happened? Why didn't we see this coming?" We need to wake up and stop being the silent majority!

Why is it such a big deal to say MERRY CHRISTMAS? If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah I don't get offended. I am a respecter of people and I desire the same. Christmas isn't just for the religious it's for all those who enjoy being with their families, friends, and giving to the poor.

You cant take CHRIST out of Christmas! I too am a teacher, and we have a "Holiday tree" in the Loby, how pathetic!

we all sit and watch the news on how horrible schools are, the rape, drugs, shootings and murder. Well they need Christ back in the schools! When I went to school we prayed before and during, we never had violence of hate crimes and random shootings. The school systems are all about what OTHER religions think, and what they can do to save thier butts from a 1.5 million Dollor lawsuit. The fact is, schools with out being able to pray, and without GOD will get so much worse. And parents are too lazy or blind to do anything about it, if the parents would protest and come together as one, they would have no choice but to surrender.

Source(s): <><

Let's see, I think it started when Madeline Murray O'Hare complained she didn't want any prayer in our schools.

And we said, OK...

Then, someone said you better not read the Bible in school, the Bible that says "thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbors yourself,"

And we said, OK...

Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem.

And we said, an expert should know what he's talking about so we won't spank them anymore...

Then someone said teachers and principals better not discipline our children when they misbehave. And the school administrators said no faculty member in this school better touch a student when they misbehave because we don't want any bad publicity, and we surely don't want to be sued.

And we accepted their reasoning...

Then someone said, let's let our daughters have abortions if they want, and they won't even have to tell their parents.

And we said, that's a grand idea...

Then some wise school board member said, since boys will be boys and they're going to do it anyway, let's give our sons all the condoms they want, so they can have all the fun they desire, and we won't have to tell their parents they got them at school.

And we said, that's another great idea...

Then some of our top elected officials said it doesn't matter what we do in private as long as we do our jobs.

And we said, it doesn't matter what anybody, including the President, does in private as long as we have jobs and the economy is good...

And someone else took that appreciation a step further and published pictures of nude children and then stepped further still by making them available on the Internet.

And we said, everyone's entitled to free speech...

And the entertainment industry said, let's make TV shows and movies that promote profanity, violence and illicit sex... And let's record music that encourages rape, drugs, murder, suicide, and satanic themes...

And we said, it's just entertainment and it has no adverse effect and nobody takes it seriously anyway, so go right ahead...

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, classmates or even themselves.

Undoubtedly, if we thought about it long and hard enough, we could figure it out. I'm sure it has a great deal to do with...

"WE REAP WHAT WE SOW"

i just answered a ? about the NAACP. which is related to this. all this mindless B.S. is ridiculous, CHRISTMAS is a celebration of CHRIST and if it is not your belief so be it, i was taught to respect other religious beliefs and am entitled to have mine respected, so leave CHRISTMAS in the schools and let the children make their own conclusions, i am sure they are consumed with too many other things in their life to make this a priority issue.

Well Mark this is the way the world is going. The color is fading. The world will soon be a black and white silent movie and we will all be observers afraid to say anything or touch anyone.

Don't believe me? Look at your picture again. You used to be a colorful wonderful guy now you are turning into a woman with no color.

Everyone is free to say what they want, but the Constitution and democratic principles forbid US governmental agencies from promoting any religion.

Why do you think that everyone in the world is a Christian? Aren't there Jews celibrating Hanukah? Moslems and Hindus celibrating whatever it is that they celibrate? Athiests celibrating whatever it is that they celibrate? Why are you upset when someone wishes you a happy holiday? Would you rather have a miserable holiday.

And a happy Hanukah to you and your family. May you rejoice in the miracle when God freed your ancestors from Greek and Assyrian persecution so that you can practice your Judaism.

Sounds kind of stupid when said to someone of another religion doesn't it?

Btw: I know there are people who say ignorant things like "Children and adults alike all adore CHRISTMAS.". But dispite their ignroance, there are people in the world and people in this country who are not Christian and take offense when you try to convert us or show your ignorance by believing that Christianity is the only religion in the world. Say "Merry Christmas" to your Christian friends, but if you ever befriend someone of another religion, try being a bit more open-minded and less bigoted.

Hey! What has happened to the 'freedom of expression'? Is America still the land of the free? If we want others to respect or freedom, we have to respect theirs too!!! Religious activities and expression is a matter of personal belief... Don't we have the freedom to do that anymore?