What is your favorite winter dish? Stew? Gumbo?

I make a delicious Conch Chowder.

Anyone interested in the recipe?

Homemade Conch Chowder

I start with a roux, very simple, but requires alot of stirring. I want my roux dark, muddy water dark.

How to make a roux

Brown 1/2 package of bacon, remove bacon from oil.

1/2 cup chopped celery

2 med. chopped onions

2 tablespoon of fresh chopped garlic

Saute chopped celery, onions and garlic in the bacon fat, remove vegetables and add to stew pot.

Now you may want to add a little canola oil or vegetable oil to bacon fat to keep the flavors mingling while making the roux.

Add flour to bacon fat and stir, add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add enough flour to oil to the consistency of pancake batter. Continue to stir until muddy water brown.

**** If you scorch the flour, throw it away and start over, it will riun your entire dish if you scorch it,

Now add your roux to your stew pot

more to follow

Ingredients needed

1 pound Conch, (2 cups), tenderized, or chopped. I put mine thru a meat grinder

2 medium onions, chopped

1/2 cup celery, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

3 to 4 cups of chopped or quartered potatoes, I like mine bite size

1 bay leaf

3 tablespoons fresh basil

3 tablespoons oregano

1 teaspoon Tabasco

1 quart of clam juice, or water, or chicken broth.......I use water and let the tomatoes and spices do the job. My husband thinks clam juice would be to fishy tasting

1 large carrot, diced or chopped

2 large cans of tomatoes, dices

After you have made your roux add all of the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least an hour and a half. When potatoes are done, chowder is done.

Add 2 tablespoons of worchershire, stir well

Taste and enjoy

Edit: I left out 1 jalepeno, seeded, stemmed and chopped

Favorite Answer

New England Clam Chowder and French Bread..Your recipe sounds good, but I don't know where to get conch on the west coast..

Soup - vegetable or vegetable beef. I like mine thick almost like a stew. Good with warm home made bread.

Or a good, rich seafood chowder (New England style) with lobster, shrimp, crab meat, whatever. This with saltines.

Also like conch chowder but don't have access to fresh conch now. But there's this little restaurant in Key West ......

Beef stew and cornbread. I looked on the Internet to find Conch Chowder. I found a recipe that called for 2 lbs of Conch.....I don't know what that is.

Beef stew. Must have pearl barley, obviously carrots and onions and DUMPLINGS!! Sorry, dribbling now but yes, love to know Conch Chowder recipe.

Have never cooked a Chowder and never eaten one but would love to try.

I love Conch Chowder!!!

I only think about it during occasional visits to Florida though... Would love the recipe.

I have a lot of favorite winter dishes. Right now, lentil soup comes to mind... or possibly split pea with ham... Yum!

peace

.

Chili

Stew

Gumbo (in that order)

enjoy clam chowder, but never tasted conch

• Split pea soup with ham, accompanied with hot, crunchy garlic bread. I am in heaven! And, yes, I'd love your recipe for conch chowder!

My favorite winter food is chicken pot pie. and yes I would like the recipe to conch chowder.

I love conch chowder! The last time I had it, I was in the Islands, Bimini

• LIPPIE

Chili, with shredded cheese, topped with raw onion. Corn bread on the side, with a glass of really cold milk.