moonchild_87 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

my dog has been getting into the trash in the bathroom and tearing up my pads.?

i dont know how to keep him from doing so. he only does it when me and my dad are gone. can someone help me??

i am telling ya i am not an idiot...i have thought about shutting the door...brought that up to my dad and he said no...he needs to keep the door open so that the heat will keep the pipes from freezing

Best Answer

Closing the door and putting a lid on the garbage is one way to go about it, but it's not the best.

Put a pad on the floor and make the dog lay down next to it without touching or smelling it. This is a mental exercise for your dog and will strengthen his obedience. Do this a few times a day teaching him to ignore the smell of the pad.

My dog used to do this with dirty tissues, underwear left on the floor and even condoms. So train your dog to ignore these enticing smells and you will prevent an embarrassing situation.

I used to have this problem with one of my dogs, but there were no pads, but just bathroom trash period. I brought the can to the dog and let him sniff it and said NOOOO firmly about 3 times. I put the can back and did NOT close the door, I shouldn`t have too.

The dog did this maybe 2 more times, I did the same thing as before, then after that It never happened again. It`s been 2 years now.

This is so easy I wonder that you had to ask - either keep the door to the bathroom closed at all times, or, if you keep your dog in the bathroom when you are gone, take the trash can out or put it high enough so the dog can't get to it.

Easy, no??

She's right. Close the bathroom door or put the trash up where the dog can't get it when you are gone.

Nothing more embarrassing than arriving home with company and you see that your dog has made friends with the trash.

Dogs only get into what you allow them to get into. Move the trash, or shut the bathroom door....it's common sense really.

My dog does this you know what we do? We shut the bathroom door before we leave the house. =)

• Close the door or put the trash where he can't get it.

shut the door

or

get a trashcan with a lid

or

put trashcan in a cabinet

or

take trash out when you leave