What meats do South Africans eat for Christmas dinner?

Ever thought of having a turkey?

Here´s a recipe:

http://www.healthyalternativesweb.com/turkeyrecipe...

Ha, ha. This is more suited to the South African Christmas in the hot summer !! Lol.

We always have roast chicken, a piece of pork and ham or kasseler. Last year we had venison instead of the pork.

Vale30_9, beware of the cosa nostra. They are a tribe!

BlueBull, Malisto, I know that thing of having too much to eat at Christmas. I think that the more people there are, the more one tends to over supply. When we were 16 people at the table, the the table was literally groaning under the weight. Our last Christmas inSA was so oversupplied and we felt guilty that others did not have as much. So we made up lovely platters of cold meats and salads, plus all the puddings and took it to a family whom we knew were needy. The mother, who did washing and ironing to at least earn SOME money, was very grateful. And what did the unemployed father say to us? Didn´t you bring any beer ? !!!

*ADD*

Has anyone looked at the link I gave ???

*Add*

Hi Ayanda, I get what you say. The more people there are, the "bigger" the supply and variety of food. A bit like Blue Bull and Malisto also said.

Favorite Answer

Almost all our folks went to granny last year. Four children. Six grandchildren. Seven great-grandchildren. 4 great-great-grandchildren. Cousins, nieces and nephews. And we had to slaughter a cow because we celebrated that coming together for four days, including Christmas day.

The previous years, at my parents', we normally eat leg of lamb and gammon.

Cakes, I had to give you the above just to show that it depends on the size of the family at any given time. As most Africans have extended families and prefer to be together during this time, they eat different meat than what they do, like when I'm with my parents and two sisters.

Hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Love the turkey!

But on a more serious note, for black South Africans the culture has really evolved with the times. For one it's usually sighted by the lunch rather than the dinner, a real feast where people eat as much as can until they lie flat on their stomachs. We're looking at a possible 4 to 5 course meal, including ridiculous desserts which historically used to be your normal ice cream served with jelly and custard. The main course including dumplings (steamed bread) served with either good fried chicken or beef stew or curry and an amazing array of side dishes which include a whole lot of veggies and salads (very common historically were such as coleslaw and the beetroot salads which have evolved to creamed spinach salads, chilli beetroot and all those other 'nca' salads they mix). But I'm not really a diplomat for Christmas lunch as the only time I've ever cooked was when I was house sitting as a teenager and just has macaroni and mince for lunch!

Yes, and like Blue Bull said, the following few days you just eat and eat whatever was left over because it's usually a lot, the day after Christmas is a public holiday: The Day of Goodwill A.K.A The Day of Leftovers

Cakes we are terrible and prepare too much. We make a huge get together with the family and each family will prepare something. We Will have turkey, smoked ham, tongue, leg of lamb and lost of salads and puddings. Don't forget the snacks like chips, meatballs, cheese. Later the afternoon, everyone jumps in the pool 'cooling' down and have a nice cold watermelon. You eat for another two days on the amount of food that was prepared.

==Add==

Yes I did and think it is very creative. Hve already mailed all my friends the recipe and I added want see see some creative ideas. What more will we see in years to come. !

Can not believe the guy asking for beer!

My family always insisted on the Anglo-Italian thing, like roast goose and pork, ravioli con ragu, mince pies, tiramisu, cake and the lot even though it was blerrie benoud! (very hot). Everyone else thought we were mad.....! LOL !!! A braai is the most typical for Christmas in SA.

my mom love going all out on Christmas, we normally have a prawn starter followed by a roast, turkey/chicken, pork and smoked tongue this goes with the normal rice, baked potatoes, veggies and a salad for desert we have the trifle as well as the Christmas cake and cream/ice cream and custard with a nice sherry to help ease the food down. and normally it is just my mom, my husband and me plus our two kiddies!

ps love the link!

Fruits have seeds; "vegetable" is a non-scientific word for produced edibles

• SAgirl

We usually have chocolates for breakfast for lunch for dinner. As a child this was a dream come true we couldnt wait for christmas for the presents and chocolates for breakfast

We normally have a leg of lamb and if we are not in a mood for the traditional, a braai always goes down well!

• cheri

We have not yet decided but we usually buy the food we decide to make(usually oxtail potjiekos) , with imitation lobster for starters, fruit basket with crapes, water melon, litchies and sweet melon, a home made amarula to drink and a dessert

Source(s): Yes and i love it - lol qiut a tan and tasty as well i know

Christmas is not Christmas with out mince pies!!! mmmmmm

But thats not meat it is? Does fruit mince count?? :-D