A question regarding 1 John 1:9.?

How can you explain a person who is a believer that they will need to confess their sin whatever they to do wrong. Just like in the Bible, 1 John 1:9. If a person ask you, why do I need to confess all the time? If she/he tell you that I only need to confess one, or she/he think she/he don't need to confess his/her sin because God always forgive her/him all the time. How can you explain to that person regarding 1 John 1:9?

Also, How to confess your sins to God as a Christian?

• keoh6
    Favorite Answer

We sin daily, so we need to ask for forgiveness daily. Jesus said if we lust in our heart then we have committed adultery. What warm blooded man has not done that from time to time.

• mlcros

1 John as you can tell from the 1st Chapter was written to Christians only. These are people who have forgiveness already. The verse then implies that we have to acknowledge our own faults when we sin and confess them before the Lord in order to receive forgiveness for those faults. Forgiveness may not be automatic nor does it always continue if we remain in sin. This is the message of Hebrews 6:4-6, 10:26-32, and 1 Peter 2:21-22. This flows with what is said in 1 John 2:1-2 in that we need to stop sinning, but if we do sin we need to return to Jesus for our hope.

In order to confess our sins to God we need to go through Jesus as talked about in the first two verses of the next chapter in 1 John.

One of the biggest heresies around today is that once we have come to salvation we can relax and more or less carry on as we please, comfortable in the knowledge that we are saved to the uttermost. That is why there are so many churches which do not preach about sin and repentance at all, but people flock to them for that feel good factor without having to attend to unpleasant home truths. There are many ways in which one can explain the need for confession to a person. One is the fact that in the Lord's Prayer we are to ask repeatedly for forgiveness from sin ("forgive us our trespasses/debts/sins"), another is the salutary parable of the Pharisee and the publican, which teaches us how if we are conscious of our merits rather than our demerits before God we are not justified before him. Then there is Psalm 51, in which David pours out his heart in repentance. In that Psalm he is conscious of the fact that he has sinned before God and God only, although most of us might perhaps be concerned about the human aspect of the sin (i.e. against Naaman, whom he had committed adultery and effectively murdered, to get his wife.) When we realise that all sin is serious in God's eyes, we are aware that we too need to approach Him in repentance in this way.

I've just seen the rider to your question. Interestingly, the Orthodox Church uses Psalm 51 for a general confession. http://www.geocities.com/canonical_orthodox_2000/g...

• pai

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

The above is as pe Bible. It means when we confess, all oiur sins are forgivwen. which means we are now aware that we have learnt not to do it again and will not rerpeat thus it is gainful to confess

Forgive me I am not a Christian able to give sermons

Source(s): John 1:9

When God saves someone, all their sins are paid for past, present and future, they are in a sinless state:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." - 1 John 3:9.

However, evidence of the new birth will show an ongoing desire for mercy, communication and regret of sin:

Psalm 32:5 - I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

All this verse means is that Christians need to always be in agreement with God about their actions. It does not mean that we need to tell someone. In that verse "confess" means to agree with God.

There are 5 verses in that passage-they all go together verses 5-10. Read them all.

we must ask for forgiveness when we sin--just pray & confess & repent. Remember Jesus said "Ask & you shall receive." Every one makes mistakes & falls short of the mark @ times.

When your hands are dirty, you wash them. When they get dirty again, you wash them again. You don't rely on the previous washing for cleansing from the present dirt.

I got so confused with all the he/she/him/her, that I for got the question.