Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

Why are most screws tightened with a clockwise rotation?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

convention, standardisation. Right hand screw threads are used as standard except where anticipated movement or rotation dictates otherwise.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It is convieniant for all of us to think in terms of clockwise rotation. It keeps us from twisting off bolts and screws when we extract them. However when motion causes an opposite torque on the bolt or screw the threads are made so that we must tighten them opposite to most bolts or screws. This will keep them tight when the twisting force would otherwise loosen them. It is a matter of getting people doing all the same thing. If you had it both ways constantly then you would constantly be taken a 50 50 chance of turning it the wrong way an waisting valuable time.

• 1 decade ago

Well, they have to turn one way or the other. Usually, which way they turn doesn't much matter, so eventually, people decided to make a "normal" way for them to turn so threaded holes, washers, and nuts could fit on most parts easier.

Why clockwise? Well, my guess is that it's because clockwise was considered lucky. Sailors have a complicated interest in clockwise motions due to the fact that clockwise changes in the wind suggest fair weather in the northern hemisphere. People who work with rope picked up on that too, so hangmen's nooses, which are unlucky, go counter clockwise. Ships take a lot of screws, so maybe the metal workers picked it up from the same place.

• Tom V
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It might be a more natural motion for right-handed people, but there's really no good reason - unless maybe it relates to the "clockwise" direction of clocks ...

That comes from the direction of motion of a sundial's shadow, in places where sundials were first used.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

because most of the people are right handed, and with that hand we have more strong movement when pronating (clockwise rotation on your right hand)

sorry about the left handed, unfair world

• Norrie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because the majority of people are right handed...

I, however, would give my right hand to be ambidextrous !!!

• 1 decade ago

it is standard

• 1 decade ago

i dont know

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

idont know!its standard!!!!!!!=D!!!LOLLLLL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.