G
Lv 6
G asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

What was going on in society when the film "Blade Runner" was made (1982)?

I guess this would technically go under "homework help", but I figured I could find better input here. What was going on in society at the time to spawn the film "Blade Runner"? From your perspective, what issues does it address?

We're doing a film festival on dystopian films, and I'm trying to get as much input as I possibly can.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

British overcome Argentina in Falklands war (April 2-June 15).

Israel invades Lebanon in attack on PLO. (June 4).

Princess Grace, 52, dies of injuries when car plunges off mountain road; daughter Stephanie, 17, suffers serious injuries (Sept. 14).

Lebanese Christian Phalangists kill hundreds of people in two Palestinian refugee camps in West Beirut (Sept. 15).

Leonid I. Brezhnev, Soviet leader, dies at 75 (Nov. 10). Yuri V. Andropov, 68, chosen as successor (Nov. 15).

President: Ronald W. Reagan

Vice President: George Bush

Population: 231,664,458

Life expectancy: 74.5 years

Violent Crime Rate (per 1,000): 56.0

Property Crime Rate (per 1,000): 50.3

John W. Hinckley, Jr. found not guilty because of insanity in shooting of President Reagan (June 21).

Alexander M. Haig, Jr., resigns as Secretary of State (June 25).

Equal Rights Amendment fails ratification (June 30).

Super Bowl:

San Francisco d. Cincinnati (26-21)

World Series

St. Louis Cardinals d. Milwaukee Brewers (4-3)

NBA Championship

LA Lakers d. Philadelphia 76ers (4-2)

Stanley Cup

NY Islanders d. Vancouver (4-0)

Wimbledon

Women: Martina Navratilova d. C. Evert Lloyd (6-1 3-6 6-2)

Men: Jimmy Connors d. J. McEnroe (3-6 6-3 6-7 7-6 6-4)

Kentucky Derby Champion

Gato Del Sol

Oscars awarded in 1982

Academy Award, Best Picture: Chariots of Fire,

Nobel Prize for Literature: Gabriel García Márquez (Colombia)

Grammys awarded in 1982

Record of the Year: "Bette Davis Eyes," Kim Carnes

Album of the Year: Double Fantasy, John Lennon and Yoko Ono (Warner Bros/Geffen)

Song of the Year: "Bette Davis Eyes," Donna Weiss and Jackie DeShannon, songwriters

Miss America: Elizabeth Ward (AR)

More Entertainment Awards... Events

Michael Jackson releases Thriller, which sells more than 25 million copies, becoming the biggest-selling album in history.

John Belushi dies of a drug overdose at age 33.

Cats opens on Broadway. Becomes Broadway's longest-running play.

Movies

E.T. – the Extra-Terrestrial, Tootsie, Gandhi, The Verdict

Music

Michael Jackson, Thriller

Books

Thomas Keneally, Schindler's List

Alice Walker, The Color Purple

Science

Nobel Prizes in Science

Chemistry: Aaron Klug (UK), for research in the detailed structures of viruses and components of life

Physics: Kenneth G. Wilson (US), for analysis of changes in matter under pressure and temperature

Physiology or Medicine: Sune Bergstrom, Bengt Samuelsson (both Sweden), and John R. Vane (UK), for research in prostaglandins, hormonelike substances involved in a wide range of illnesses

A permanent artificial heart is implanted in a human for first time in Dr. Barney B. Clark, 61, at University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City (Dec. 2).

The space shuttle Columbia makes its first mission, deploying two communications satellites (Nov. 16).

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) diagnostic machines are introduced in Britain.

Washington University in St. Louis develops the Flavr Savr tomato, the first genetically-engineered plant approved for sale.

Deaths

John Belushi

Ingrid Bergman

Leonid Brezhnev

Grace Kelly

Satchel Paige

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I think the first thing you need to do is determine whether the movie was made from a book or not. If it was, you need to then determine the date the book was released. Attempting to determine the role past history played in the making of the film would be suspect without knowing the history of the script from which it was produced. I'm just guessing, the film was likely predated by a book by several years, rendering "current events" largely irrelevant. Now another point that you could examine without knowledge of the scripts history is how the movie was received by the general public, and the attitudes it reflected and influenced. That is likely an easier task to fill than the first. And would be much more relevant to your interests. Ronald Regan was elected President in the United States in 1980, taking office January 1981. It heralded many significant changes in social attitudes. Though I'm not how much effect they would have had on the making of the film. Understand also how much time elapses from start to finish for every film, and you have a whole new set of elements to consider as well. Shingoshi Dao 2007.Nov.25 Sun, 17:05 --800 (PST)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

umm nothing

thats why they call it a movie

lol

politicaly:

Hostages were freed a year or so before..

Afghanistan

othen then that nothing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.