Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

How long would it take to become citizens of the US?

They live in China, and as far as I know I heard that it takes atleast 10 years for someone to come to the US and another 5 to become a citizen.... any help??

Favorite Answer

Don't confuse citizenship with residency. Being a citizen and a resident are two very different things, in the English language, I know other languages the terms are synonyms.

Citizenship takes 5 years from the time that you become a legal resident, 3 if serving in the US armed forces. After 20yrs of legal residency you can also become a citizen waiving some tests as well.

Residency is obtained by several venues and time varies according to availability to accomodate and grant visa to certain nationalities.

If a person was a legal resident he/she could become a citizen in 5 yrs, 3 with US military service.

And lastly, all depending of meeting all the requirements and assuming that there's no problems with the law.

Source(s): Self

4 years

Once a person has a Green Card, and becomes a permanent resident, it's 5 years before that person can apply for citizenship.

How long it takes to get here is another matter that varies so much I can't comment unless you tell me exactly how they plan on coming to the US... petitioned by a sibling, parent or child, work visa, etc...

The amount of time has gotten longer and requirements more stringent over the last 6 years.

This is the official US Government web site:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

There are a lot of commercial sites out there, I do not know if they are legitimate sources of info or support. BE CAREFUL! Research any group or resource you choose to work with to make sure you do not throw money out the window.

By Immigration process,your file will open after more than 10 years,approximate 12to14 years.

Once you come,without going any where(out of country),you can be citizen in 4 years.

if you went out,then more than 5 years.

It take more then 10 years. My wife has been here legally for 20 years and is still waiting for her citizenship.

When did people start worrying about it? It used to take around 4 years I think.

i heard at least 7 years

i heard it only take about a year

if you are bringing a relative, yes it will take that long..i mean, the fastest way is to marry that person..there's no waiting period..