African American questions do you know the answer?
Martin Luther King Jr.
2. What was the name of the first slave ship built in the English colonies?
The Free Help
3. What was the first American colony to abolish slavery?
4. When was the importation of slaves outlawed in the U.S.?
5. What dispute led to the founding of the African Methodist Episcopal Church?
Row vs. Wade
Brown vs. Board of Education
Segregation of St. George's Methodist Church
The Cold War
6. What was the first black newspaper?
7. How big was the price on Harriet Tubman's head?
8. Where in the South was Sojourner Truth (c. 1797-1883) born?
Ulster County, New York
9. Where did Fredrick Douglass get his last name?
His master's last name
a poem "The Lady of the Lake (1810)"
10. At its height, what was the slave population in the U.S.?
about 1 million
about 2 million
about 3 million
about 4 million
11. What percentage of Southern families owned large plantations?
25% to 30%
8% to 15%
1% to 4%
50% to 90%
12. What does "Ku Klux Klan" mean?
From Greek "kuklos" meaning circle
13. How many Ku Klux Klan movements have there been?
More than 100 major ones
Fifty major ones
Ten major ones
Three major ones
14. Who were the principles in the Supreme Court case, Plessy v. Ferguson?
Homer Plessey, John H. Ferguson
Martin Luther Plessey
John H. Ferguson
15. Who wrote "Of Mr. Booker T. Washington and Others"?
W. E. b. Du Bois
Martin Luther King
16. Who was the first president to invite an African-American man to the White House?
Hillary Clinton (or her husband Bill)
17. What event sparked the founding of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People?
A 1908 race riot in Springfield, Massachusetts
The war of 1812
The Los Angeles riots
The Civil War
18. When was the first "***** History Week"?
19. Who popularized the slogan "Africa for the Africans at home and abroad"?
John-Jacob Jingle-Hiemer Smith
20. What was Elijah Muhammad's name at birth?
21. How did Jackie Robinson do in his first major league game?
3 hits in 279 at bats
2 hits in 9 at bats
1 hit in 2 at bats
0 hits in 3 at bats
22. For what did Ralph bunche win the Noble Peace Prize?
His performance on "The Love Boat"
Rescuing hostages from the middle east
Dieing during war time
Mediating an end to an Arab Israeli conflict
23. Why did Rosa Parks refuse to move from her seat in the white section of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama?
fatigue and principle
24. Where did Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., get his doctorate?
Florida Atlantic University
University of Miami
Florida State University
25. When and where did Martin Luther King, Jr. make his "I Have a Dream" speech?
Boca Raton, Florida, March 4, 1997
Boston, Massachusetts, April 8, 1369
Washington D.C., August 28, 1963
Washington state, August 28, 9163
26. Where was the first "sit-in" at a segregated lunch counter?
Columbia, South Carolina
Greensboro, North Carolina
27. What did the "N" in SNCC stand for?
28. How did the 24th Amendment advance the cause of civil rights?
Importation of slaves made illegal
Poll tax made illegal
29. What were the names of the three civil rights workers murdered by the Ku Klux Klan in 1964?
Rodney King, Jessee Jackson, and Thurgood Marshall
Malcom X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Abraham Lincoln
Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, and Chelsey Clinton
James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner
30. For what crime did Malcom X go to prison?
31. Where was Malcom X Killed?
Audubon Ballroom (before speaking)
World Trade Center (at the bombing)
Los Angeles (during the riots)
Middle East(during the Gulf War)
32. How long did the Watts riots of 1965 last?
about 1 day
about 1 month
about 1 week
about 1 year
33. Who warned, "Our nation is moving toward two societies, one black, one white--separate and unequal"?
National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders
The six o'clock evening news
One of the big 3 (ABC, CBS, NBC)
Your local newspaper
34. What justice did Thurgood Marshall replace on the Supreme Court?
Thomas C. Clark
35. What was "Resurrection City"?
Part of Washington D.C.
36. How many times did Jessee Jackson run for the U.S. Presidency?
37. What year was Martin Luther King Day first observed as a federal holiday?
38. Who videotaped Rodney King's beating by Los Angeles police?
John Jacob Jingle Himer Shmitt
39. Who was the first black woman senator?
Carol Moseley Braun