Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

pirouette help?

when i do my pirouette i cant seem to stay balnced, any tips about posture etc.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Maybe try bringing your center of gravity lower?

• 4 years ago

-How many pirouettes can you do ? (without stopping) -How much time did it took you to be that good? (if you are) -How much do you practice? -Tips? I'm trying to get better but I never took classes or anything for that kind of thing. 1 or 2 1 day not to often and i learned at this camp we learned by doing preps and this is how we did it 1. put hands out in 2nd and put foot out to the side 2.put right hand to the front and right foot back 3.go on realeve, push off round bring foot to posse and bring arms to 1st

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Practice on balancing in posse. Make sure your stomach is sucked in, your standing leg is straight and turned out, and your working leg's thigh is as open as you can make it. If your thigh is turned out and open it will give you more momentum to turn as well as strong arms. When you think you perfected all those things, try to do a pirouette. Remember retiree. Draw your leg up to posse as quick as you can. SPOT!!!!! One of the most important thing you need in a pirouette. What I did to help me spot is sit in one of those office wheely chairs and spot things. If you practice all those things, you should have a perfect pirouette very soon. I know you can do it, just keep practicing! :-)

• 1 decade ago

i have the same problem and what i've found works is when you do your pirouette try to lift up more and use every core muscle. bring your leg to go straight out from your hip and use your bum muscles to turn it out and at the same time use abs and all the muscles that help you balance and this should help you.

try this just holding on releve for a bit. as soon as you can hold it for 10 or more seconds u will most likely be able to do one or more pirouettes.

hope this helps!

Source(s): dancer. ballet, lyrical, jazz. en pointe.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

For many people pirouette's are so easy, and for others its hard. I had the same trouble that you do.

First: you need to make sure you are in a stable position

Second: you need to tuck you but under, pelvis in and keep your chest lifted.

third: don't wind up before you turn, make sure you are on a dance floor to turn on.

Fourth: pick a spot on the wall you can focus on, and turn while your turning MAKE SURE you look at the spot!!!

GOOD LUCK

Source(s): myself
  • 1 decade ago

i agree with the second answer. because you really do need to be able to balance for 10 seconds. but also you need to, when you are balanced, have your hips right over your foot. trust me, that causes you to go off balance. i was like that for about all of the first year i tried pirouette. i kept falling off balance but since i got that right, i have been able to do a single, a double, and kind of a triple pirouette.

• 1 decade ago

think of your body as a top you must have a sturdy push off and you have to push it down in order to make it turn. so when doing a pirouette make sure your have a deep , bent , fourth making sure your back foot is not off the ground. don't think of speed or whipping your arms. instead when you push off keep the stomach muscles tight and lifted, make sure to have excellent spotting. your head should be the last thing to turn . you should practice just turning with both feet on the ground whipping your head around and spotting. once you have this mastered make sure you have a good fourth and tight stomach muscles, a straight back and practice, practice, practice! good luck!

• 1 decade ago

Well... I had the sam problem for a long time. Be sure to spot correctly. If you don't it could easily throw you off balance. Also try to hold your stomach and butt in but stand straight. Hold your shoulder blades down and back. Try a couple with the foot on the ankle. I hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

My ballet teacher always tells me "pretend that there is a pole in the core of you body and a string attached to it coming out of your scalp, there is someone above you pulling up on it. Also pretend that you are in a bathroom cubicle it is small so if you are turning there is only one way to do it, you have no chioce, or else you will be falling into the toilet!" I hope this helps, if it even makes sense to you at all :)

• 1 decade ago

It might be that you are not springing up enough when you are in your preperation. It could also be that you are not squeezing your stomach and your behind enough. Pirouettes has alot of components to think about and it also will take time to get used to it to.

• 1 decade ago

One thing that really helped me to have a perfect piroutte, is to strengthen your core. Doing excersize videos, situps, whatever works for you to strengthen your abdominal region - it will help you a ton. Make sure you are spotting, and pulling up. Practice holding your legs in passe. It does take some time, but you will get it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.