How far can a car run on diesel if it only takes gasoline?

I ran out of gas and a tow truck came to put fuel in my car. My car started, and about a mile afterwards, the car stopped running. I then had my car towed to the dealership where they told me that there was dieselfule in the gas tank instead of gasoline. The tow truck co. that serviced my car denies putting diesel fule in my car and said that my car would have not started, let alone drive off. is this ture??

Favorite Answer

DIESEL FUEL BURNS AT A MUCH HIGHER COMPRESSION THAN GASOLINE,

THE MOTOR WOULD RUN FOR A SHORT TIME THEN AS THE ENGINE COOLED IT WOULD NOT RE-START,

FLUSH OUT YOUR FUEL SYSTEM AND YOUR CAR SHOULD RUN FINE, CHANGE FUEL FILTER AND SPARK PLUGS THEY ARE PROBABLY FOULED NOW,

CHECK YOUR LAST RECIEPT WHERE YOU BOUGHT FUEL CROSS REFERENCE THE PRICE PER GALLON WITH THE PRICE OF DIESEL AND THIS WILL HELP NARROW DOWN THE CULPRIT, GOOD LUCK!

Source(s): ASE MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Diesel is used because it can be compressed much more than gasoline, so if gasoline were used in self-ignition, it would not have nearly the power of a diesel cycle. When gasoline auto-ignites, it is bad (called knocking) the octane rating can only allow a certain compression. Diesel is used because it can run compression ratios around 25, so a larger sweep of power is taken from each turn of the crankshaft. This also allows a constant pressure process across a large Volume change during the combustion, which maximizes power (PV) instead of a pressure increase associated with a gasoline cycle. I hope this helps.

No it isn't. Even though you 'ran out of gas' there is still fuel in tank that the fuel pump cannot suck out. When you added diesel (or any other liquid) the small amount of gas in the tank was then able to get pumped out. Your car should have been running very badly since the gas was mixed with diesel, but once the gas either became too diluted, or the remaining gas in the system was burned up, you were screwed.

wow that's the order one. but since they were some left over gas on your car it will start later but when the engine and oxygen gas senor and the spark plug realize that their is something wrong or if it realize that is not a regular gasoline and it will stop but you have to find or get an evidence so you can sue them. but I'll tell you this. before when we move from our other old house to our new house my father actually put a gasoline on a diesel Uhaul and it ran for about a mile and a half and when unload everything in our new house the truck wouldn't start and later on we realize that we put a wrong fuel on the truck so we call the Uhaul company they send their Mechanic to come and look at it and we end up speeding over $450 including the rental fees, and over night fee. so it will cost you over $500 to get your car running again because they have to flash the whole system. sorry about that but if you have a good evidence that they put a diesel on your car. you should get an attorney or a lawyer and sued them. good luck and hope something good come out.

Get an Estimate of the repairs from a DEALER. Then Go and send certified copy of it, signature on delivery to the tow truck co.c address, call in a week asking for the full amount. when they say "No" file a small claims suit for the full amount, plus rental fees for the time you've been without transportation and filing fee. Go to court with sworn statement of what the dealer found in your tank and the amount of it, taking in mind the last time you filled your tank and how far you drove untill it ran out of gas, because obiously, If you had filled your tank with diesel by mistake, you could not have driven 100 miles. Win.

Not true. You can go a short distance on Diesel juice before the car dies, mostly because there will be some gasoline left in the fuel system. But once you have Diesel fuel in the carburetor or injectors, you're done.

Assuming your fuel lines were completely, utterly dry? They're right, it is true, your car would not have started.

If there was any fuel still in the system, it might have started, but you wouldn't have gotten far. (I doubt you'd make it a mile unless you were going downhill...I mean the car actually ran out of gas and quit, right?)

But if there was diesel in the tank...no one else could have put it there. So yeah, if it's there, they put it there, and they owe you a couple hundred bucks to fix this problem.

Some cars, even though claimed that only runs on gasoline, can indeed work with diesel. But it remember the higher price gasoline you get for you car, the better the engine works. In basica words, yes the car can start, but it would mess up your engine.. BTW, if that company claims that they didn't put diesel in your car, but a CERTIFIED car dealer and prove there was diesel. you can sue the company for some $$$

You can run it for a short period of time, but it quickly stutters and stops, and the damage to the engine is severe.

I know -- I once helped somebody that was on the side of the road. She had accidentally filled up her tank with diesel. She managed to get a few miles before the car slowed to 5mph and then refused to start.

• nazbak

Ur car engine is designed to function on gasoline it will stand still if u put diesel in stead.