Children's definition of compassion?

I'm introducing the theme of compassion to my first grade class this week, and wanted a simple, broken down definition for the word compassion. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

!st grade - OK

Compassion means caring about other people. When someone is feeling hurt or sad your heart wants that person to feel better. When your friend starts to cry you will give your friend a tissue and tell that friend "Please don't cry. It's going to be alright". You never laugh or make fun of anyone because that might make him or her sad and you don't want to do that. A compassionate person has a kind and caring heart and always reaches out to help others.

I hope this helps - and thank you for trying to instill such wonderful values into the lives of those little ones you're teaching.

• dilox

Definition Of Compassion

Compassion Definition

Wow, there are a lot of good answers here!

I was going to say that kids have an intuitive idea of what compassion is. It's just a matter of caring about someone else's feelings and well-being, that they're important just like you. So I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time getting the idea across to first-graders.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Children's definition of compassion?

Source(s): children 39 definition compassion: https://tr.im/n9e5J

I would add that even when someone else is acting in a way that is hard for others, having compassion is knowing that they are not a bad person, they are having trouble managing their feelings and behaviors. And there are probably reasons for that. So we can have compassion for them, that they are struggling in life.

I have been trying to teach my grandchildren, ages 8 and 10, about compassion. I am trying to stay away from pity and staying with compassion.

It is easy to have compassion when someone we like falls and hurts themselves. It is harder when it is someone who behaves badly.

Sharing the happiness in your heart with someone who has sadness in theirs.

A GREAT service project for them (to go along with this concept) is The Pencil Project. VERY easy and rewarding.

www.thepencilproject.com

If they see a little puppy crying, they will feel compassion.

you care about something, or something that is sad or make's you feel sad

Like the love they have for their mum, daddy, siblings, or their best friends.