How to melt macintosh caramel?

I have a bar of macintosh caramel that I'm looking to melt, but the only recipe I know of uses condensed milk, which I don't have. Any thoughts on using regular milk and butter? Any idea of the quantities?

Yes I am Canadian, they are widely available here. I was not aware that they weren't sold in the US, so, for Americans, macintosh toffee is just a big bar of hard caramel sold in a red cardboard box.

Favorite Answer

I am a former chef and unles your a Canadian or from the UK, you have never had McIntosh's Toffee, I am quite alot older than you and remember the TV commercial from the 1970's with Billy Meek a guest on the old "pig and Whistle" show of the late 60's and early 70's.

Now after the history lesson, I would put it over a double boiler, with a bit of condensed milk, either the Carnation full fat or a generic store one, like chocolate it will melt in time, stir it ocassionaly, let the water simmer, not boil or the milk will curdle.

Macintosh Toffee

From about.com:

"melt caramels in microwave using package directions. Dip apples in caramel mixture."

You should be able to find them in any grocery store. Look in the produce department.