CABG (Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting) is a open heart surgery or closed heart surgery?

Am a bit doubtful whether CABG is a open heart or closed heart surgery. Can somebody help me out??

Best Answer

The chest is open, the heart stays closed.

The pericardium, a bag that surrounds the heart is opened, and left that way. But the actual heart muscle is left intact in CABG.

Source(s): I have a three vessel CABG.
  • Judith

Anytime you are put to sleep for any surgery,there are risks but the fact that they stop your heart,hook you up to a machine that works like a heart to pump blood through your body during the time they are working surgically on your own heart I would have to say that open heart surgery is pretty serious business. These days it is less risky than it was when my granddad had it back in the 70's as they have worked out alot of the kinks and have done some perfecting of technique. The surgery it'self is pretty routine these days,it is the post operative things that are most concerning. The way recovery is handled helps to dictate how well the surgery is going to end up. Listen to your doctor and medical staff and do the coughing they ask you to do and the walking they ask you to do and all in all I believe a person will do just fine.

CABG is an opened heart surgery.

I had a 7 way bypass Dec. 05 was on the pump, Yahoo has several CABG. groups.

It is closed heart surgery, as they don't need to open up the heart itself to do it. It's common for people to call this open heart surgery, but that's not technically correct.

• ?

It is open heart surgery. In some cases, this can be done "off-pump" which means the patient is not placed on the "heart-lung" machine.

Source(s): RN for cardiology group

It is generally open heart surgery, but they can now do it with the scope sometimes

Source(s): triple bypass in 1993

I would think its open, I could be wrong, (I had quadruple bypass in 2003) Good luck!!Hope all is well.