rjv.lchn asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

What is the basic difference between PLASMA TV and LCD TV?

Favorite Answer

They are fundamentally 2 different technologies.

A plasma works by trapping plasma (a 4th state of matter, but in this case considered a gas) in cells. When a current is applied, it lights up.

An LCD is essentially a filter that becomes transparent or opaque depending if current is applied to that pixel. Then there is a backlight behind it that supplies the lighting.

Plasmas have historically had nicer pictures, and were less expensive, but were more subject to annoying glare.

LCDs historically are brighter, less subject to glare, and more expensive, but not as pleasing of a picture.

However, I defy anyone to look at a Sony XBR Bravia LCD and tell me it's not the best picture in the store, plasma or LCD. This is the current TV I'm lusting after. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the most expensive TV out there for it's size right now.

It difference picture and price. As far as which one is better, it is personal preference.

LCD has come down in price tremendously over the years and the screen sizes have increased. Plasmas are still cheaper than LCD. That is one of the many appealing factors of plasmas. I have seen name brand 50" plasmas for $1000. That costs about the same as a 42" LCD.

As for the personal preference, this is where the image quality comes in. LCD has a sharp and vibrant look. While that sounds great, IMO, it makes things look artificial and are only appropriate for computer games and programs. Hence, you never have seen a plasma computer monitor.

Plasmas provide a softer and realistic picture. Plasmas have higher contrast ratios than LCDs. LCD at best will be around 1500:1 full on/off contrast ratio. Plasmas go up to 15000:1 currently. Take notice I listed added full on/full off in front of the contrast ratio for the LCD. LCD companies feel threatened by plasmas, so they created a new spec of dynamic contrast ratio to create an artificially high number. 1000:1 full on/off is equal to 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

Higher contrast ratios will provide more accurate colors. True blacks, vibrant whites and everything in-between. I think movie pictures should be soft edges, not sharp edges. Therefore, I prefer plasmas over LCDs for movies and TV.

Plasma TVs burn .....LCD's don't (if they're a flat panel LCD)

LCDs are NOT Kid Proof...Plasmas are.

Got Kids? Then DON'T get the LCD Panel TV set...unless you Velcro a piece of Lexan in front of the LCD panel to protect it until the kids grow up....

Source(s): Over 25 years servicing TV sets.

They both work very differently, but they both have great picture. I have one of each, and I love the picture of the plasma more than the LCD, but the LCD supposedly will last longer because plasma eventually evaporates and you then just have to trash it.

plasma tv has gas in side it and uses elictrical energy to produce light and images

lcd have liquid crystalline structurd liquid that can be aligned to bloack or allow the light rays to pass

and uses light from an external source to produce images

plasma have bettre quality than lcds and are costlier than lcds

plasma is flat screen tv

lcd tv is tv using projector if i not mistaaken

the diffrent between is no so diffrent lcd means flat Tv where af plasma is just diagonal shaped ok

plasma is gas and lcd is liquid. generally the best tvs are plasma.

you would hate me for saying this but...it is the PRICE

plasma is suppose to be "higher" quality...but I think they're both HDTV and the difference is unnoticeable ( except at the beginning)

If youre looking for a TV that is most superior, Plasma then.

If more on functionality and savings, LCD..

About $1500.