Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsVolleyball · 1 decade ago

volleyball rotation?

please help!

before season comes again, i want to work on rotation. my coaches say i am one of the best hitters on the team, but rotation and switching confuses me so much, and they had never really explained it to me, and i'm afraid to ask them because i don't get things right away and they are easily frustrated.

please help! step by step detailed answers please! 10 points goes to the most understandable one!

THANKS SO MUCH!

well mostly it's not that, it's when freeballs come over i forget where i'm supposed to be and when were switching they will tell me to ''stay one'' until the ball comes ''back over'' or when someone ''pulls me up'' [setter]. basically what does it mean when they ''pull me up'' what does it change? how do i know when i'm supposed to switch after they tell me to stay one and ''switch when it goes back over''.

oh and i mostly play right front, left front and occasionally middle front when they tell me to stay one when were not switching or when the setter pulls me up.

so i know how to pull back for free balls, but i just can't remember to do it during they volley. and basically i always get cought in transition [mostly transitioning to hit] during a play and not really so much during rotation.

Best Answer

First to answer your question about "pulling up": When your setter pulls you up it takes you out of the serve receive so that you don't have the ability to pass, sometimes making you more likely to get a hit on the ball. The setter "pulls you up" to the net and the other backrow players slide over to cover your spot on the court.

"Staying for one": In your serve recieve position sometimes you aren't going to be in your normal playing spot, however your coach might want you to hit on that spot because it'll take too much time for you to transition to the right side and you want to launch a faster attack on the other team. So say its the other team's serve and your serve receiving in the left front postition. The ball is coming over either you or your teammate will pass it to the setter and then you "stay" in that position in case the setter decides to set it to you so can do your spike approach and get a kill. As soon as the ball goes over the net you can return to your normal position on the right side.

As for transitioning off the net: Everytime that you see a freeball coming over the net you want to transition off of it so that you can pass the ball (unless of course you see that its an easy overpass that you can crush at your opponents). Make sure that when you transition off of the net that you are low and open off of the net in a direction that allows you to still see the ball. As a right front you would open your body to the left because anyhing to the right of you would be out of play.

As for rotation: perhaps the most difficult to explain: At the start off the game everyone starts out in rotation, which is the serving order : _______ (net)

4 3 2

5 6 1

The numbers tell you who the first server is, so 1 is back left and typically the strongest server. However, the order that you serve in isn't the same as your base position (the position that you normally play on the court, I think you said you normally play right side). Therefore after your teammate serves you have to run to that rightside position ready to either get the net short pass or the next kill. When your team loses the next point you do your serve receive and then you rotate once you win another point so that your next teammate can serve.

So lets say that your playing the right side position and your coach starts you out in 4, so you're the 4th server (refer to the diagram above). The 1st server serves the ball and you end up losing the point so you pull back to do your serve receive in the left front position, you "stay for one" (until the ball goes back over the net, and then you go your base (normal position) on the right side. Lets say you win the next point. Now its the person in the 2 spot's turn to serve. So everyone rotates clockwise putting 2 in the back left position (1) and "rotating" you (the right front player in the 4 position) to 3. Then your player serves and if you win the point you stay in the same rotation, so in that same 3 spot. But if you lose the point your going to do serve receive and have to rotate the next time that you win the point. For rotation your always going to be next to the same players or I should probably say positions because the players on the court do change. As a rightside player, a middle is always going to be to your right and an outside hitter will always be to your left.

The best thing to do though ultimately is to ask your coach. I was in the same spot 2 years ago where I didn't completely understand rotation and my coach had me changing to new positions. There not going to get mad at you, and its really going to make you a better player. Just ask them during a waterbreak, or maybe before or after a practice one day. It's their job to help you. If you still don't want to ask them as a teammate who plays the same position as you. I did both and it helped me to be a better player.

Source(s): club volleyball, varsity volleyball, down ref, lebaro tracker, line judge, JV captain

first of all

when your team serves..if you win the point ur team serves again and if you lose the other team serves

when the other team is serving if you win the point you rotate and your team serves

each player has a base so for example if you are an outside hitter your base is left front.

every time your team wins the serve back you rotate

when you rotate you will be standing in the middle front position but since your base is front LEFT you have to wait until your team serves or until your team returns the other teams serve over the net to switch with ur teammate and get to the left front position

so basically you are always switching to get back to your base

sorry if i didnt explaine this well

but maybe your coaches get frustrated if you ask questions during practice because they dont want to interrupt prctice

you should try goign to them after practice and explaining to them that they never explained the rotations well and that yo dont understand and try to figure out time where you can go see them so that they can explain it to you

hope i helped

position numbers

1 6 5

2 3 4

NET

4 3 2

5 6 1

this is what they mean:

since you are outside hitter, you are supposed to be in position 4 if possible

BUT if you are not in position 4 (meaning that you have been rotated to another spot, spot of the middle blocker(3) or spot of the setter (2), then:

stay where you are if the OPPONENT is serving, then switch to the 4 position (if you are in front row) ONLY AFTER the ball is put back onto the other side

if YOUR team is serving, and you are in the front row, switch to the 4 position AS SOON AS the serve goes over the net.

if your team loses posession of the ball, then regains it, rotate clockwise, to the number prior(if you are in 1, go to 6)

hope it helps

Source(s): experience

rotating is very very simple !!

this is what you need to know

1.) when the your team scores a point you have to rotate one space... this is when you go to the right one space( so if you were in the front middle then you are now in the front right corner position)

2.) next thing you need to know is when your team is serving and the serve is no good you do not rotate until you score a point again .

3.) if the the other team rotates when they score on your team this does not mean you rotate too you wait until you score a point to rotate

Ok letd dtart from scratch

there are Six people on the court, and I serve. If the other team gets the point, we do not rotate. If the other team gets the point, and then after that we get the point, every body will move ove by one, exept for the person who served, he will sit down and the someone else will play center for him.

• Dan_Ye

Basically when your team is serving, you can switch to your hitting position when the server contacts the ball.

If your team is receiving, you need to take the first serve-receive (where your rotation puts you) before switching, unless you are pretty sure someone else is receiving... as soon as you can tell that you are not receiving and as long as your move is not blocking your teammates' view, switch.

The 6-2 really depends on the serve receive that the coach wants to use. Once the ball is passed, it is easy for the middle hitter. Go to the middle and wait for the back row setter to set you. There are thousands of serve receive patterns that coaches use, so it would be impossible to tell you where to start. You want to try to block all 3 positions. Make sure you block your middle first and then help both outsides.

When you serve and your team gets the point. If your

team doesn't bump it back or if your serve was out

the other team gets the point.You stay in the serving spot

until your team gets the point.then you rotate and the teamate

that was in front of you gets to serve. When she misses one you rotate again.It's so every one gets to serve.You rotate

in a circle.

good luck to your team .

when they say switch when its back over that means

switch when its your teams turn to serve

Okay..so basically...sorry if I'm going to sound confusing and such, but this is how I say it to girls on my team:

Okay, all you have to do, is if the oppsite team serves, and we get a point, from either it going out or us setting or bumping, or whatever it is over back to their net, and they couldn't get it, and we get the point, we rotate. So if who ever on your team serves, and the oppisite team gets a point for whatever reason, they rotate, and they serve, and it goes all the way like that.

I hope this helps :]

Source(s): Co-captain of a junior high volleyball team.

Well, when it is serve/ recieve, ( the other team is serving) you need to be switching with someone to get to your position. When your team is serving, you need to stay where you are, then switch to your spot, once your team gets the ball over. I hope I helped. HAPP HOLIDAYS!!! = )