Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Is my sister committing benefit fraud?

My sister has an 18 month child, no job and lives with the father of the child (who earns in excess of £40000) in his house. They are not married.

He doesn't give her any money and my mum often pays for busfares etc for my sister...

What would she be entitled to claim in the UK?

She is getting some benefits and i don't know if it is fraud... i don't want her getting in trouble.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It depends on which benefits she is claiming. If it's child benefit, then there's no problem as everyone gets that regardless of their income or living arrangements.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If she has a partner who is working over 16 hours a week she is not entitled to Income Support. Doesn't matter whether he "gives her money" for busfares or not. Doesn't matter if they are married or not. If he is her partner, they live together and he's working in excess of 16 hours a week she cannot get Income Support so if she's getting that she's committing fraud.

If she has paid enough National Insurance Contributions she may be allowed to get Contributions-based Jobseekers Allowance or Incapacity Benefit regardless of what her partner earns but she would have had to be working for a certain amount of time and paying enough National Insurance contribs.

If her partner earns £40,000 they would not get Working Tax Credit, I'm not sure about Child Tax Credit, but I doubt she'd be entitled to this either.

Everyone gets Child Benefit (£18 per week for the first child, £12 for subsequent kids) so thats OK.

If she's getting Income Support or Tax Credits though she is committing fraud.

People like that make me sick. My partner (we're not married either) is only on minimum wage, he earns around £12,000 a year and I'm at home with our baby son. Because he is working over 16 hours a week (even though he only earns £5.50 per hour) I get no benefits at all other than a small amount of tax credits and my child benefit. We live below the poverty line because we are honest. I could pretend to be a single mum and scam plenty from the DSS but I have a conscience and it makes me sick the way some people lie and milk the system. They deserve to be found out and get into trouble. They are just thieves.

• 1 decade ago

Child benefit is the only benefit I can think of that she can claim unless she is registered with Jobseekers as being available for work, then she can claim contribution based benefit (if she has contributed enough). If she hasn't contributed enough she is unlikely to get anything (other than child benefit) as the other jobseekers allowance is based on the amount of money coming into the house - and they get too much.

Londoner - how do you know she hasn't declared that she is living with her partner? I have read the original question several times and I can't find that information

• 1 decade ago

legally she can only claim child benefit (about £17 a week), she is not allowed to claim income support if she is living with a guy who is earning. But they can put in a joint application for working and child tax credit, not sure they would get much given the guys income though

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Strange that the CSA haven't got onto them, they spend enough time chasing fathers who never see their children for every pound. However if the only benefit is Child Benefit then there will be no problem as all parents are entitled to that.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. She is living with the father of her child who appears to be making good money - so of course he should be giving her something to help with his child's upbringing. But he is not responsible for your sister not having any money of her own because they aren't actually married. Maybe she should think about getting herself a part-time job so she doesn't feel so dependent on other people all the time. :-)

• 1 decade ago

Child benefit and nothing else if she's living with the father,if she was on her own she would be eligible for other benefits.

• 1 decade ago

Yes she is commiting fraud. She will not qualify for any type of benefit other than child benefit.

• 1 decade ago

Yes she is committing benefit fraud because she hasn't declared him as her partner the Department for Work and Pensions and they may issue criminal proceedings against her for dishonestly obtaining benefits.

The fact that he doesn't really help her financially could be a point in mitigation

Source(s): criminal paralegal with experience of benefit fraud cases
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If he don't give her any money,,,,she should claim a single parent benefit,,,and tell them he dint give her any money,,,,the C S. A. will have to chase him to make him support there child,,,,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.