donna k asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

why has roxy decided not to eat?

my 10 month pup has now decided she does not want to eat til we hand feed her i know that we shouldnt do this but it seems to be the only way to get her to eat we tried to leave her and managed a day where she was sick a yellow substance (vet says this is because she has an empty stomach and also said she is just been fussy) i have been told that many GSD are fussy eaters and that they will try and hold out until they get the better thing. she is mainly on james wellbolved ive tried adding gravy water stock cube etc and she ll eat it then the next day i start with kibble then add the liquid she s not interested unless i sit and feed her she gets excercise played with and apart from this i can see no dominance issues over us apart from the feeding thing. really just want some advice on what you guys have had to do in this situation. the vet says i need to hold out keep to one meal and if shes sick then i have to try something new! is she hasnt eat for a while her nose goes dry and warm

• Bear
    Favorite Answer

I just went through this exact thing 4 days ago. First, you pooch will not starve himself. In the last couple weeks he has been sick (Pano/Almost Bloat) so I felt bad and I added steak, ground beef, ground turkey, etc to his meals. Well as he recovered and got back to being a puppy. I started to taper back on the extras. It started with him picking out the good stuff and leaving his food. I stopped the extras and he stopped eating. Then I left the food out all day and he still would not eat or steal a couple bites here and there. I continued to take him to the dog park for an hour or two and obediance training. He ran around, played as normal, but still no eating. I then put down his food waited 20 minutes and removed it until dinner. 20 minutes then removed it until breakfast. It lasted one day. Now he cannot eat his food fast enough. I should tell you, since he is a large breed and 85 pounds at 9 months, I do soak his food in water before I give it to him.

Just keep exercising, obedience training, etc and plenty of water. She will come back around. She's just being fussy like my lil fella.

• Joh

She will not starve herself but maybe she is trying to tell you something about the food. She may only need one feed a day now? If her system is used to food at regular intervals then it will start producing bile in anticipation of a meal. This is often thrown up when no food arrives.

Rather than fussing, put her food down give her 15-20 minutes to eat it and then take it away again until the next feed. Is there someone around who gives her lots of treats? maybe she is holding out for those instead!!.

Source(s): An article called 'Dogs are Carnivores" http://www.dogtorj.net/id51.html A feeding guide published by a vet who advocates raw feeding http://www.rawmeatybones.com/diet/exp-di... A website debunking some of the many myths regarding raw feeding and bones. http://rawfed.com/myths/
  • suzy49

Some pups can be very picky eaters, and if you give in to them it just encourages feeding problems. Your pup will not starve himself, he may not eat as much as you would like him to but he will eat enough to get by.

Maybe try a different food, there are several high quality foods to choose from. Check out our list of the Top 25 dog foods (graded according to the quality of the ingredients) here http://www.the-puppy-dog-place.com/best-dog-food.h...

One of my Rottweilers was very picky when he was a puppy. When I found myself cooking him different food at each meal ('cos he would only eat something once, maybe twice max), I decided enough was enough!

After a few days of barely picking at his food, he decided to go ahead and eat what was in his bowl. Well, he never looked back and now he's a 130lb adult and certainly doesn't look like he missed a meal in his life.

Good luck!

well I don't know what food you feed but have you tried Natural Balance Rolls? My Yorkie is so crazy about them and you can mix it with the dry kibble, you can grate it chop it too, it smells like a beef stick for humans! You can also feed it alone. She is also probably enjoying that attention she gets from the hand feeding.

You is also taking into account Cross Creek (1983)-- The precise tale approximately the lady who wrote "The Yearling". This film was once set within the bayou or fairly Cross Creek, Florida. It stars Mary Steenburgen because the creator Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. This movie depicts her early days within the serene swamp she followed as her dwelling, and the self-exam one has to do in an effort to write effortlessly. Along the best way, she makes peers with a colourful array of backwoods men and women. Dana Hill performed the younger woman with the puppy deer and her father (performed through Rip Torn) killed it. or "The Yearling" from 1946 was once filmed in California and Florida and no longer entirely within the swamps of Florida.

I don't personally think it is a medical problem, she might just be being picky! That is how my cat is, not eating until we handfeed him.

you should probably handfeed her if she won't eat at all, that could prove dangerous if you don't!