Black Female Math Major?

I am a black , female math major. I'm the only math major I know who is not white or asian. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the company of my fellow white/asian math nerds (lol) but sometimes I wish I could find a math major or better yet a mathematician who looked like me (black &female). Is that wrong?

Ps.

I am in a mentoring program that is aimed at putting more minorities into the sciences but all the mentors are either white or asian.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

N'kay. My undergraduate degree is in physics. My best friend majored in computer science for undergrad and minored in math. Maybe it's because we went to Hampton (an HBCU for you non-black folks), but most of the math majors were female. The problem is that we seem to get the biggest flack from other black people when we choose to study math or the pure sciences. Why is it that we never seem to be able to encourage each other to do anything that we don't perceive to be "black enough"? This is just another pathetic example of the cycle of self-defeating self-destruction that black people seem to be stuck in.

You want to find other black female mathemeticians? Look for an internship in the DC area with NSA, DOD, FAA, NASA, Energy, or the National Academies. There are lots of black female scientists and engineers in this area.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

You know what? Congratulate yourself on using what you've got to the best advantage, and try real hard to quit thinking in terms of color about it.

Think about this: I have green eyes, and I am a male poetry major. I wish there were others like me in this group. All of them are female and have blue eyes.

So what?

Enjoy your success and help ALL others to succeed. That is how you pay back the world for your position.

Source(s): I have always been in a mostly male-dominated black, Hispanic environment. I like it. I surprise them. Doesn't matter what color, sex or color eyes you have, do your best and help all others to succeed.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not at all. Our community faces really stupid stigma's like "acting white." In the future most of us will follow paths of higher education. Its not wrong to hope you see more people like yourself.

• 1 decade ago

There's nothing wrong with that. I don't know where you're from but, there were plenty black math "geeks" (smile) at my high school.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, its not wrong and your wish is most likely what will fuel your involvement to encourage blacks into the field. I admire what you are doing and where you are going with it.

• 1 decade ago

Con..gra...tulations?

You looking at a future in computer science, engineering, statistics or actuary science? or something else?

• 1 decade ago

Wow. Stay there, don't leave. Let's begin with you and have you as a role model.

• 1 decade ago

Good for you! BTW, my mother teaches math!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No ma'am it is not wrong at all and I agree with Von.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm studying accounting...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.