Black Female Math Major?

I am a black , female math major. I'm the only math major I know who is not white or asian. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the company of my fellow white/asian math nerds (lol) but sometimes I wish I could find a math major or better yet a mathematician who looked like me (black &female). Is that wrong?

Ps.

I am in a mentoring program that is aimed at putting more minorities into the sciences but all the mentors are either white or asian.

Favorite Answer

The African Americans put so much emphasis on desegragation and caucasians not being prejudiced yet THEY have BET. They have Black Miss America. They have Black History month. Even this miniscule emotion you're feeling about wanting a black teacher or largely black class is prejudiced. If you tell us to get over it, I can tell you - deal with it and get over it!

You know what? Congratulate yourself on using what you've got to the best advantage, and try real hard to quit thinking in terms of color about it. Think about this: I have green eyes, and I am a male poetry major. I wish there were others like me in this group. All of them are female and have blue eyes. So what? Enjoy your success and help ALL others to succeed. That is how you pay back the world for your position.

It's a wonderful chance to bask in the ability and strength to chose a path least taken. It shows even more that you're one of the many that are paving the road so that other people can know that this is a chance for them. Lots of work and trips to classes with help spread the word. :-)

• gcnp58

No it's not wrong. But you are going to pay a price for being one of the few, at least in any institution you are at since the situation is not likely to change anytime soon. In the meantime, you might have to find a sense of community by casting a wider net and thinking regionally instead of institutionally. Here's a link to the Society of African-American Physical and Mathematical Scientists:

http://www.pams.ncsu.edu/students/multicultural/SA...

Maybe you're not into these sorts of societies, but there are a lot of them out there for African-Americans. It sounds kind of like you might like it though.

There are other societies out there, there is one strictly for physicists, one for chemists, one for engineers etc.

Excelsior!

p.s. I didn't mean "pay a price" in a negative sense, I meant you will have to be strong, emotionally.

White women were in that position not that many years ago. Social involvement is rewarding, with people in your own occupation, race, gender, and interests. Those circles need not overlap. The desire isn't wrong, it just isn't necessary. Cherish and nourish the relationships you find with interesting people, whatever their flavor.

gfgf