Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysThanksgiving · 1 decade ago

How many people does a 20-pound turkey serve?

We got our annual free turkey from the grocery store and it's 20 pounds. How many people does that serve? We're mostly into the white meat, so I guess the dog would be included in the dark meat part. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I heard the pound per person rule but I doubt anyone actually eats a pound of turkey!!! I usually only have a couple of slices because I like to pile on the side dishes too! Also, the 20 pounds factors includes bones and other inedible parts. So, I would say a 20 pound turkey probably could serve 12 - 15 people.

How Much Turkey For 20 People

12

The only parts you probably want to serve at dinner are the breasts for sliced white meat, and the thighs for dark, plus drumsticks and wings for people who like those. You won't serve the bones, probably not the skin, or the smaller bits of meat you have to pick off the carcass for sandwiches or soup or tettrazini, on Friday. Figure, at most, ten people for light meat, and four or five for dark, plus two people who like drumsticks, for a sit-down dinner. If you don't mind picking the carcass clean you can get maybe two or three more. Keep the "audience" in mind--big eaters can easily take 1/2 a pound or more, even with all the trimmings. It's Thanksgiving--people are going to eat too much.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): people 20 pound turkey serve: https://shortly.im/yLYLb
  • GEEGEE

I just read that the recommendation is a pound per person, because you factor in the bone, which obviously people cannot eat. But that wouldn't account for the yummy lefteovers!

So I'd say 12 -15 people with plenty of leftovers.

• Yvonne

I was eating the chocolate cream pie this evening when my hostess told me that it was made with tofu. Let me summarize by saying that a half an hour after I arrived home, I was no longer concerned with how many calories I had consumed today. I say, "One experiment a week, and please inform me before you serve it." Spam turkey would be better than that old vegetarian favorite, bean loaf shaped like turkey.

AT about a 1/2 pound per person, less waste,about 30 people or so. Think of a 1/2 pound hamburg, It is a lot!

Around 15-18 people.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

about 8 people