Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPainting · 1 decade ago

has anyone seen "the Mona Lisa"?

and thought what's the big deal,

i was unimpressed to say the least.....

yeah it was suprisingly small and i was about three feet away from it,

the rest of paris was stunning...

Favorite Answer

My husband and I thought the same thing - We never realized that it was so small, and we thought the thick bullet proof glass was hilarious ( I guess someone threw a rock at it back in the late 50's). When we went back to the Louvre the for second time, we skipped Mona all together.

The Mona Lisa, although on the surface seems like just an ordinary painting, I read somewhere that it actually has lots of symbolic meanings.

One example would be the little smirk on her face. It's supposed to mean something, I know that that painting was supposed to portray many subtle philosophies. Look at it more closely and I'm sure you'll be able to notice some more about it other than it's dull colors and seemingly boring subject.

Yes, spent two days at the Louvre. It's a bit difficult to get near poor Mona Lisa because she is purpetually surrounded by japanese tourists. The good news is that they're short, so you can see over their heads. I'll post a photo I took of them later.

She is behind glass. But there are a lot of other wonderful things to look at in the Louvre besides Mona.

Most people have that experience. You can have a better look at it when you buy a postcard in the museum shop.

Specially the 13 inch thick glass and the dark box made me go...mmmmmm. Not to mention the 100 flash photographing china men made looking at it hard.

I just take solace in the fact that it was a piece of history I was close to for a second or two.

• thai

I wasn't that impressed. I mean, sure it's a great piece and famous, and of course I wanted to see it, but to be honest, I stood in a line and when I finally came close enough to it to snap a photo, the guard was rushing me out, so I didn't even get a chance to really look at it.

My friend visited the Louvre last summer and most people say they're suprised by the small size of the painting.

Yes, I actually went got a quick pic of it 17 yrs ago in the Louve. Didn't leave a big impression on me.

• Jamie

I have not but my daughter has. She said it was totally different standing in front of the actual painting instead of seeing a picture of it. But she was impressed rather than disappointed.

I've seen it. I like the painting. You really have to look at it to understand it.

I know it was small when i went to la Luv.