Wireless Network Problem. D-Link USB Adapter. Sends and receives packets, aquires ip... still no internet.?

My brother initially had a working internet connection, in which he used to cram his PC with as much spyware and virus' as he could. So formated. After formating i reinstalled the drivers to his DLink Wireless USB Adapter. The internet worked for long enough for me to download AVG Intivirus, and RocketMP3. I promptly shut down his computer afterwards. The next day he calls saying that the internet doesnt working. Will not connect to RocketMP3 or browse the internet.

The computer connects to the network, aquires a valid IP Address, sends and receives packets, all programs (RocketMP3 and Internet Explorer) will not recognize the connection.

Any suggestions?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My guess would be the AV program, especially if it has a firewall. Check "Trusted programs" or "Program Access" and make sure the programs you want to have access are listed there, if not add them. Some Int Sec programs, like McAfee, require a password at boot up. If it isn't entered within 1 minute, the computer finishes booting but all Internet access is disabled.

Hope this helps

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Several things. Goto Start/Run and typein CMD. At the command prompt type in ipconfig. Copy and paste that into this question. We are looking at gateway and IP addresses mainly. Also you might check your network settings and delete any DNS numbers that are in it. Set both IP and DNS to aquire automatically under your network connection.

• 1 decade ago

Try plugging into the router via ethernet to see if it's a wireless issue but either way i'd try removing any firewalls as they can cause such problems.

• 1 decade ago

The firewallis blocking those programs or url addresses. Open up your firewall and remove or reset all ofthe blocked items. Dont worry, they willall get blacked again if your system prompts you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.