In zone 5, US, can I put gloxinias outside in the flower bed and have them live as a perennial?

Know they are related to African Violets, so would think the answer would be NO, but was told differently by a flower shop.

Favorite Answer

You're doing the right thing to double check on a fragile flower. I'm aware of one Gloxinia (Hardy Gloxinia, Incarvillea delavayi) that is hardy to Zone 6, but I'm not aware of any that are hardy to Zone 5.

There is a hardy perennial gloxinia that you can grow outside, but not the one in the florist shop. They gave you misinformation. Check it out:

Detailed information on Hardy Gloxinia Incarvillea delavayiInformation and 6 images for Hardy Gloxinia Incarvillea delavayi.

davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/208/

info on caring for a florist gloxinia:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/flower...

You can overwinter gloxinias IF you treat them as roses; get a rose cone and mulch around the base.

You'll have better luck if the plant is very near the foundation of the house where the soil does not freeze as solidly.