How fast can a paintball go?

My little brother wants to know.

• Jon P
    Favorite Answer

As the two gents above mentioned, the legal limit at fields is 300 feet/sec. which is for safety, but also is about the ideal speed for accuracy as well- most manufacturers quote the ideal speed for their guns to be in the 280-300 fps range.

HOWEVER, I believe you asked how fast CAN a paintball go, not what the field limit is. SO- if you're not playing a game and are just messing around, you can crank your gun up, but I don't recommend it.

A few times at my old field, a few of us were doing just that on the range, and we got a few guns consistently chronographed at over 380-90 fps with regular paintballs, but we also got a few barrel breaks and poor accuracy.

One ref brought out a few frozen balls (he would always threaten cheaters with them!), and we were were able to top out at about 425 fps. Under perfect circumstances, with the right gun, barrel, and thick skinned or frozen ball, I imagine 475-525 fps would be attainable, maybe more if you did some customization al la "Mythbusters."

That said, 300 fps isn't just a good idea- it's the LAW!!!

Source(s): 18+ years of paintball playing 2 years of working at a field

Speed Of A Paintball

I assume that you mean the actual speed of the paintball itself. The legal speed of paintballs at every field and tournament in the country is 300 feet per second. That boils down to 204 MPH. It drops in velocity quite fast though due to its lack of aerodynamics and light weight.

If you were reffering to how fast can a paintball marker fire (As in rate of fire) you would be looking at around 25+ balls per second for some of the higher end markers. They are normally capped at 15 balls per second for safety reasons.

The paintball markers can shoot fast — as many as 15 or more times per second

plus this website should help

http://www.vmempire.com/ballspeed.htm

Source(s): I wouldn't want to get shot up close.

They shoot at 300 feet per second..... if the paintball stayed at 300 feet per second for one hour we can figure the miles per hour..... 300 fps times 60 minutes = 18,000 feet per minute, then times 60 minutes = 1,080,000 feet per hour, now divide by 1 mile of 5280 and you get 204 mph....... thats pretty fast for a paintball leaving the barrel......

Source(s): 5 years paintballin

The RAP-4 Black Thunder Storm can shoot up to 30 paintballs per second. http://rap4.com/paintball/os/rap4-black-thunder-st...

I have seen a paintball go as fast as 250 MPH

depends but some fields allow 300fps at the most even though i know they go higher

most fields like to stick to the 270-285 fps range.