Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

French author Louis-Ferdinand Céline said "Everything is permissible internally". What does this mean?

Best Answer

We can all rationalize and justify our actions within our own personal contruct of ethos, but weighed against the morals established by our dominant society, may have to compromise or forsake said actions.

Hence the Spice Girls' restraining order.

Damn it, Alec nailed it! I am now more in love with you than ever that SOMEONE actually KNOWS who Louis-Ferdinand Celine IS. "Journey To The End Of The Night" is my favorite. I've used a highlighter marker on most of the book. I still have to read, North, and the rest of the trilogy. "Death On The Installment Plan" is a MUST. Good for you, Buk!

It means you can think it, mull it over, enjoy it and even let the thought ripen and become even more delicious.

Whatever it is !........

It's just when you acted upon it or say it you may very well run

into the restrictions placed upon you by society ( not to mention

punishment ) . Which is sometimes a shame, especially if said society is generally policed by the moronic, unimaginative, and absolutely self righteous without a sense of humor.

I have the feeling one should spring to mind !

Edit : Alec has got it right , spot on.

However I gave this some thought and decided to take this quote as an advice ( and forget about ramifications ).

In which case it means " Let your mind be free ! "

All humans seem to have the apparently inherent ability to justify their own actions.

And they may be absolutely justified, based on their experiences. Which has brought the NEED for societal controls into play. (You can't always do what you feel justified in doing.)

When I was about 10, I read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. I can't recall the quote directly but he referred to Al Capone. Al Capone seemed to feel his intentions were greatly misunderstood. The point being that everyone feels justified in their actions.

Interesting quote. I may have missed the authors intention, I went with my first thought.

Peace.

• Krazy

There are no regulating external forces impeding what one would do in an internal situation. Could be a private matter or could go along the lines of "What goes on in Vegas..."

Sounds like Louis-Ferdinand likes to get a bit KINKY!

• Snacky

Sounds like a inside job to me!

I'm thinking The Dalec has that one down pat.

Source(s): Simplified,what I tell my children is :"Think what you like,just don't do it or let it out your mouth if it's inappropriate or illegal." Like them to listen,lol !

The two week old Chinese take-out I just ate begs to differ.

It means that people would be amazed if they saw a unicorn crap a glazed donut.