What is a Participle? And how do you find it in a sentences?

I'm trying to do my homework and I don't have my text book cuz my mom left me at my dads house for the week and all my school stuff is there....

Favorite Answer

In linguistics, a participle is a non-finite verb form that can be used in compound tenses or voices, or as a modifier. Participles often share properties with other parts of speech, in particular adjectives and nouns.

Recognize a participle when you see one.

Participles come in two varieties: past and present. They are two of the five forms that every verb has. Look at the charts below.

Regular Verbs:

Verb Simple Present Simple Past Past Participle Present Participle Infinitive

giggle giggle(s) giggled giggled giggling to giggle

help help(s) helped helped helping to help

jump jump(s) jumped jumped jumping to jump

Irregular Verbs:

bring bring(s) brought brought bringing to bring

ring ring(s) rang rung ringing to ring

sing sing(s) sang sung singing to sing

swim swim(s) swam swum swimming to swim

Notice that each present participle ends in ing. This is the case 100 percent of the time.

On the other hand, you can see that past participles do not have a consistent ending. The past participles of all regular verbs end in ed; the past participles of irregular verbs, however, vary considerably. If you look at bring, ring, and sing, for example, you'll see that their past participles do not follow the same pattern even though all three verbs have ing as the last three letters.

Consult a dictionary whenever you are unsure of a verb's past participle form.

Know the functions of participles.

Participles have three functions in sentences. They can be components of multipart verbs, or they can function as adjectives or nouns.

Participles in Multipart Verbs

A verb can have as many as four parts. When you form multipart verbs, you use a combination of auxiliary verbs and participles. Look at the examples below:

Our pet alligator ate Mrs. Olsen's poodle.

ate = simple past tense [no participles]

With a broom, Mrs. Olsen was beating our alligator over the head in an attempt to retrieve her poodle.

was = auxiliary verb; beating = present participle

Our pet alligator has been stalking neighborhood pets because my brother Billy forgets to feed the poor reptile.

has = auxiliary verb; been = past participle; stalking = present participle

Our pet alligator should have been eating Gator Chow, crunchy nuggets that Billy leaves for him in a bowl.

should, have = auxiliary verbs; been = past participle; eating = present participle

Participles as Adjectives

Past and present participles often function as adjectives that describe nouns. Here are some examples:

The crying baby drew a long breath and sucked in a spider crouched in the corner of the crib.

Which baby? The crying baby. Which spider? The one that was crouched in the corner.

The mangled pair of sunglasses, bruised face, broken arm, and bleeding knees meant Genette had taken another spill on her mountain bike.

Which pair of sunglasses? The mangled pair. Which face? The bruised one. Which arm? The broken one. Which knees? The bleeding ones.

Participles as Nouns

Present participles can function as nouns--the subjects, objects, and complements in sentences. Whenever a present participle functions as a noun, you call it a gerund.

Take a look at these examples:

Sneezing exhausts Steve who requires eight tissues and twenty-seven Gesundheits before he is done.

Sneezing = the subject of the verb exhausts

Valerie hates cooking because scraping burnt **** out of pans always undermines her enjoyment of the food.

Cooking = the direct object of the verb hates

Omar's least favorite sport is water-skiing because a bad spill once caused him to lose his swim trunks.

Water-skiing = the subject complement of the verb is

In English the Present Participle is the verb with '-ing' stuck on the end. MAKE - MAKING

You use it to form continuous verb forms: 'I'm making coffee'

Continuous verb forms describe ongoing actions as opposed to habitual actions 'I make coffee every morning'/

The Past Participle of regular verbs is made by adding '-ed'

WORK - WORKED. It's used to make 'perfect' forms of verbs ('Perfect' here meaning 'completed') e.g, 'I've worked here lots of times'

All English verbs have three main parts,

1. Infinitive: work

2. Simple past: worked

3. Past participle: worked

Simple past and past participle are the same for regular verbs but not all verbs are regular:

1. make / write

2. made / wrote

3. made / written

an adjective or complement to certain auxiliaries that is regularly derived from the verb in many languages and refers to participation in the action or state of the verb; a verbal form used as an adjective. It does not specify person or number in English, but may have a subject or object, show tense, etc., as burning, in a burning candle, or devoted in his devoted friend.