how do u make toffee?

I remember my granny used to make it for me when I was little and it was easy enough, just sugar and something else but I dont know how it was made. I really feel like something swett now so can u help me please

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Terrific Toffee

about 2 pounds (36 servings)

Prep: 15 minutes

Cook: 15 minutes

Cool: 1 hour

Stand: 1 hour

Ingredients

1 cup unblanched whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces

3/4 cup milk chocolate pieces

1/3 cup white baking pieces

2 tablespoons malted milk powder

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons water

Directions

1. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. In a bowl combine chopped almonds, semisweet and milk chocolate pieces, and white baking pieces. Sprinkle half (about 1-1/2 cups) of the nut/chocolate piece mixture over the bottom of prepared baking pan. Sprinkle malted milk powder over mixture in pan.

2. In a 2-quart heavy saucepan combine butter, sugar, and water. Cook over medium heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Clip a candy thermometer to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degree F (soft-crack stage), about 15 minutes. Mixture should boil at a steady rate over the entire surface. (Adjust heat as necessary so that mixture does not boil over.)

3. Remove from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture quickly over nuts and chocolate pieces in pan. Immediately sprinkle remaining nut/chocolate piece mixture over toffee. Cool about 1 hour before breaking into pieces. If necessary, chill 15 minutes or until chocolate is firm. Makes about 2 pounds (36 servings).

Toffee Butter Crunch

about 1-1/2 pounds (48 servings) Prep: 20 minutes

Chill: 15 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1/2 cup coarsely chopped almonds or pecans, toasted

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate pieces

1/2 cup finely chopped almonds or pecans, toasted

Directions

Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts in pan. Set pan aside.

Butter sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In saucepan melt butter. Add sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Clip a candy thermometer to side of pan. Reduce heat to medium; continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, stirring frequently, till thermometer registers 290 degree F, soft-crack stage (about 15 minutes). Watch care-fully after 280 degree F to prevent scorching. Remove saucepan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour candy into the prepared pan.

Let candy stand about 5 minutes or till firm; sprinkle with chocolate. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. When chocolate has softened, spread over candy. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts. Chill until firm. When candy is firm, use foil to lift it out of pan; break into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 1-1/2 pounds (48 servings).

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Brown Sugar Toffee

about 48 pieces or 1-1/4 pounds

Prep: 25 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

1 cup butter

1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar

3 tablespoons water

1 tablespoon light-colored corn syrup

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts on bottom of foil-lined pan; set pan aside.

2. Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan melt the 1 cup butter over low heat. Stir in brown sugar, water, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 4 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.

3. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thermometer registers 290 degree F, soft-crack stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-crack stage should take about 15 minutes. Watch carefully after candy mixture reaches 280 degree F.

4. Remove pan from heat; remove thermometer. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts. When firm, lift candy out of pan; break candy into pieces. Store tightly covered. Makes about 48 pieces or 1-1/4 pounds.

Make-Ahead Tip: Up to 2 weeks ahead, prepare toffee. Store in the refrigerator in a tightly covered container.

• 1 decade ago

BEST TOFFEE EVER

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups butter

* 2 cups white sugar

* 1/4 teaspoon salt

* 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

* 1 cup finely chopped almonds

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). Stir occasionally.

2. While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

3. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.

4. Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

• 1 decade ago

Updated Chocolate Nut Toffee

This recipe is so easy you won't have the troubles I had trying to make the original Toffee version. It's crispy, sweet, crunchy, smooth and altogether wonderful.

INGREDIENTS:

2 paper packages of graham crackers

1 cup broken pecans

1 cup butter (2 sticks)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar

pinch of salt

12 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 15x10" jelly roll pan with foil, then grease the foil with unsalted butter. (If you use salted butter, it will stick!!) Cover the pan with the graham crackers, breaking them into pieces to fit if necessary.

Only make one layer. Arrange the pecans evenly over the graham crackers.

Combine the butter, sugars, and salt in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly, until the butter is absorbed and the mixture becomes smooth and thick. Then spoon the cooked syrup over the crackers to coat, spreading evenly.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, until topping is bubbly all over the surface. Immediately sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Let the pan cool, then peel the foil off the toffee, break into pieces, and serve. Be sure to be very careful with that hot sugar syrup - it can burn like the dickens. Makes about 36 pieces

These are also excellent made with salted rectangular crackers as the base. I've also made them without the nuts; in that case, sprinkle a cup of milk chocolate chips over the bars after they are baked.

• 1 decade ago

i'm no candy expert, but i would assume it's a mixture of butter, water and sugar, similar to caramel, except you would bring it to the hard crack state (340), and cool it on an invertered, oiled cookie sheet then crack into pieces when cooled.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.