Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 1 decade ago

have migraines, at my wit's end....?

I have been having migraines for over 20 years, in the last year, it has gotten worse. I get headaches almost everyday, and migraines at least twice a week.

I have tried just about EVERY migraine medicine under the sun. Currently I am taking seroquel for them, works sometimes. I have to get shots about every 2 weeks.

I can't live like this anymore. I have also been taking Lamictal, for depression. That med is supposed to also help with migraines, but it hasn't.

I don't know what to do. Please help. Thank you in advance for your responses.

forgot to mention, some of these migraines last several days.

Favorite Answer

You must be really strong to put up with that situation. But, It can be food, delayed eating, allergies, MSG, stress, something in the enviroment. Make a log of everything you eat, do, places and times to see when and where migraines tend to start. Be meticulous. Maybe something will show up and you can avoid it. It can also be a combination of things plus situation. Have you tried accupuncture? Meditation? hypnotherapy? I have heard that can help some people.

Hi,

Migraine is a neurological disorder that is characterized by severe and recurring headaches, often on one side of the head. The pain may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting or neurological symptoms such as flashing lights or tingling on the face and limbs. The pain may last from 4-72 hours, and may range from a sharp shooting pain to a dull ache. The attacks may begin at any age, young women are most susceptible.

The Treatment is as under

Treatment for migraine is aimed at providing immediate relief from pain in the attack. For this, drugs that reduce the constrict the blood vessels (Sumatriptan or ergotamine), anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen, are prescribed. Other pain-relievers (analgesics such as paracetamol) with anti-nausea medications such as metoclopramide may be used.

Some drugs can be used to prevent attacks occurring in those having frequent attacks (more than one per month). Drugs that work in this way include Propanolol (a "beta-blocker"), Pizotifen, Sodium Valproate and some types of anti-depressants (TRI-cyclics). These drugs are taken continuously rather just during an attack.

Since a migraine attack cannot be totally avoided, the patient should take care that of the precipitating factors are reduced to the minimum. They must avoid foods that trigger an attack. Regular exercises and stress management are helpful.

Source(s): Medical Expert

Migraine has many triggering factors like stress (over fatigue, sleeplessness, over-work), some medications (heart medicines like nitrate-containing medicines), certain food (canned food, cheese, chocolates, MSG, alcohol) and the body's hormonal cycle (pre-menstrual period). Avoidance of these triggers may prevent some or most attacks. For persons with recurrent or chronic migraine, they may need some medicines that may prevent or minimize future attacks. See a neurologist because you may need further tests to find out if there are other medical conditions masquerading as migraine.

Some migraines may be severe enough to cause complications which maybe debilitating in itself. These are called complicated migraines. Patient may suffer strokes from the severe vasoconstriction.

• Racer

Awwww... I'm so sorry to hear this and I feel very bad for you sweetie. I to used to suffer terribly from them as well. I started taking Amitriptyline 3 years ago, 1 tablet before bed, and have been pretty free and clear of them for a long time now. I feel your pain... and I wish I had some sound advise for you. I know that when I got an attack, Tylenol #3's would help enough to at least let me function...but unfortunately, they are very addictive. I hope someone else has some good advise for you....I wish you all the best.

I'm not sure how to help you (as i've been having one steady migraine for about a week and a half now) but if you find something that works, I'd love to know.