Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

How can you be an adult and minor at the same time?

Say your 18 and you get aressted for "minor consuming" then they put you in jail and try you as an adult becuse your 18? how does this make any sence???? it seems to be an oxymoron. isent it an blatent infringment of our rights?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In the eyes of the state you are legally an adult as an 18 year old. BUT, some laws make it where you are an adult at 21. Then you are charged as a minor adult. In some cases such as murder as a minor, you can be as young as 12 or 13 and be charged as an adult.

• Beau
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The drinking age is 21, so if you are below 21 in a drinking sense your a minor. In the eyes of the law, you are an adult, except for drinking, at 18.

• 1 decade ago

"isent it an blatent infringment of our rights?"

No, its not. The people, elected by the people, have come up with those ages for a reason. As our society has evolved, we may want to look at raising those limits. It seems like young people stay more immature and act adolescent even longer now.

I find that people under 25 can barely handle their alcohol responsibly. In my experience, it seems that they just want to fight and do dumb @#$%.

Source(s): CA cop.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Uhh No the legal age to consume possess or buy alcohol is 21, but 18 is legally an adult. That's how.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • at 18 u r considered an adult but legal age for alcohol consumpumption or purchacase is 21.. so u broke the rules

Source(s): me
  • 1 decade ago

the drinking age is 21 so your legally an adult at 18 but illegally drinking at 18.

• 1 decade ago

well as the old saying goes you can fight for your country at 18 but cant drnk a beer or smokeone..18 your concidered an adult but not really till your 21 ..see so your rite it makes no sence and who knows further study could reveal if it could be consiserd an infridgement ..good question...steve {{{BUROCRATS}}}

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

in australia the drinking age is 18,at least if you'r sent away to fight for something you know nothing about and you come back with your legs missing,at least you can have a beer while you tell everyone what a good time you had

• 1 decade ago

The legal definition of minor is different in each of those instances. In one it means too young for that activity. In the other it means 17 or younger.

• 1 decade ago

you got drunk over 18 but under 21 ..... makes sense to me.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.