Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 decade ago

I think I freaked my B/F out with marriage talk, but he had always seemed so receptive before what should i do

He started the marriage talk before telling me he wanted to get married... things seem to be going so great till he asks me about what im thinking about... of course i blurt out so when are we gonna get married? and we have this tense little convo on it till he ends up saying i dont know what i want.... uummm hello shocker! he always acted as if thats all he ever wanted... maybe i forced the subject too much? HELP!

Favorite Answer

I don't think you forced the subject too much...I think he wasn't really serious about marriage when he had mentioned it previously. Personally, now is the time for the "full court press", love me or leave me..type of thing. If he has no intention of getting married (sounds like you want to) put the pressure on him to reveal his true intentions...was he serious or more likely just leading you on for sex (or the hope of it in the future) without marriage. tell him that you love him; but, until he decides to get married that you are going to seperate from him...because you will not be used or lied to. If he leaves, what have you really lost?...certainly not the man you thought he was.

This will go one of two ways if you stick to your ultimatum.

one...he really loves you and marries you

two he is a worm that can't handle commitment..just likes to talk like a man; but can't walk the walk.

This is not being manipulative...it is only forcing him to decide one way or the other what HE wants and to be honest with you.

he was probably just more in the "think/dreaming about it" stage, not ready to set a date yet. also, he might want to suprise you a little when he proposes :)

but you were on the right track, before long you should plan on setting a date and moving on from the "just thinking about it" stage, if it doesn't happen before too long you will just have to talk about it again

and no, i'm sure you didn't force it too much everything will be fine in the end cuz he was the one to suggest it!!!