Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Job application question...?

Is it appropriate to email a business asking if a position has been filled when you are unsure of how many days after they posted the ad how many days people had to send in applications...I think I may be a couple of days past the cutoff but I am thinking of emailing them and enquiring. Is this an email appropriate thing or would a voice call be more appropriate??/

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

emailing should be okay,you wont lose a thing by trying right?

• 1 decade ago

It is better etiquette to call or, as suggested by another answerer, go visit in person. Aside from the etiquette consideration, though, a phone call is quicker. If the person doing the hiring or recruiting is busy, they may not read and reply to emails in a speedy manner, and the cutoff date could pass by the time you receive a response.

Going in person to inquire about the status provides a better opportunity, as you can fill out any paperwork that might be needed if the position is still open (For example, the company I work for accepts resumes and cover letters via email and the Internet, but applicants also have to fill out a company application when they come in). Being there in person also makes you available for an interview on the spot if the opportunity arises. Finally, even if the position is filled, you can find out about any other openings that might be available.

One additional consideration -- going in person to the business shows initiative.

• Tony
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Either would be appropriate, but there are other things to consider. Mainly, if this is a job for which there are many applicants, the HR people may just not bother to talk to you or reply to your email. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try to contact them, and sometimes it might even help. In any case, go ahead and submit your resume. It might still work, and if it doesn't they will just file it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is not a proper way to send email to enquire about the status of your application.Please go and personally meet the steno of the boss after taking an appointment with him to meet the MD

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It depends really. If you do it in a formal way it could be fine. I've emailed companies before, however the larger ones are probably less likely to respond. I've gotten more response via email from smaller businesses.

• 1 decade ago

No problem. You can email and subsequently make a voice call. That will add more weightage for the job application.

• 1 decade ago

If you inquired with your application on line and sent it email then you can inquire about the job status via email. However, you're more apt. to gain more information if you call.

• 5 years ago

Ohhh the honesty of youth, hehehe another good one hun, you on a roll today, keep em comming Have a star xxxxxxxxx

• 1 decade ago

I believe that you can inquire about the position. It might be better to call them however.

• Zeera
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Absolutely a personal call is more to your advantage.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.